(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Hot water amount

Default Hot water amount

I have a Peerless Boilers Series WBV/WV oil burner that was installed in 2007. I consistantly run out of hot water within five minutes, in the shower. Any thoughts on what the problem might be will be appreciated.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I think I'd install an indirect water heater tank. It sounds like you have an in boiler coil. It might need demineralization, or the aquastat is not keeping the imersion tank hot enough, or it wasn't installed with the proper flow restriction so it can pick up enough heat. If it has a tempering valve, that could have failed, and it is mixing too much cold water in. Those are adjustable, and if you have one, I'd try that first. It would be on the output of the boiler, with both hot and cold inputs, and the mixed outlet goes to the rest of the hot water users. There may be a knob or a hex key hole to enable adjustment.

If the boiler has a temperature readout, what temp is it set to or holding?
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alpercata1 View Post
    I have a Peerless Boilers Series WBV/WV oil burner that was installed in 2007. I consistantly run out of hot water within five minutes, in the shower. Any thoughts on what the problem might be will be appreciated.
    An additional comment/question: what is the flowrate of the showerhead? The older 5 gpm types could use up hot water pretty quickly. For the past however many years 2.5 gpm "low flow" have been the standard.