Where does my softener drain go?

Users who are viewing this thread

rdhanson1

Reaction score
I live on an acreage with septic system and a deep well system and water softener in the basement. The water softener was installed in the house by previous owners. The drain line for the softener is connected to a 1" pipe that goes straight out the basement wall at about 1 foot off the floor. I don't know what this is connected to, but I'm concerned that wherever it is going it is getting filled up with salt and is slowing down the softener regeneration. Do you know where this pipe may be going? I know it is not going to the septic system and don't believe there are any drainage tiles around the foundation that it may be connected to either. The house was built in the '50s. Was there a standard drain method used back then? Maybe something like a cistern tank? Thank you...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The water softener was installed in the house by previous owners. The drain line for the softener is connected to a 1" pipe that goes straight out the basement wall at about 1 foot off the floor. I don't know what this is connected to, but I'm concerned that wherever it is going it is getting filled up with salt and is slowing down the softener regeneration. Do you know where this pipe may be going? The house was built in the '50s.
What evidence do you have that there is a problem? After 60 yrs if there is a problem, you'd certainly see evidence of it.

rdhanson1

Reaction score
I'm starting to see what looks like salt crystals forming along the bottom of the walls in the corner of the basement where the drain exits the wall. Also, the floor area is constantly moist and I have to run a dehumidifier to keep it dry. Was it a common practice to dump this salt water into the tiles along the footings? Wouldn't this eventually fill up the tile with salt and cause drainage problems too? If there are footing tiles, I don't know where they drain to but I suspect they are plugged up because we have been getting more rain water problems in the last 5 years. I can't find any records of how this house was built since it is 50+yrs old, but I suspect I'll have to dig up the area next to the foundation and see where the drain goes and if there are tiles also.

rdhanson1

Reaction score
drain into septic system?

The only drains I have go to my septic system, which is as old as the house(but still works). Is it a good idea to dump this salty water into a septic system, let alone an old septic system? The only other place I could dump this water is out in a ditch about 100 ft away.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks