(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Vortech Distributor

Hybrid View

Default Vortech Distributor

I am in the market for a Neutralizing filter and came across the Watts Vortech distributor (see http://www.watts.com/pro/whatsnew/whatsnew_vortech.asp) It seems like their claim of better backwashing of the media would be the biggest benefit. I was wondering if anyone has used this, any problems, comments, etc.

TIA

Previous member

I have been to a seminar on them. I like what I saw. I have not yet sold or installed one.

The problem with the Vortech is if there is a problem with the distributor tube, you have to replace the whole tank; and they cost more than a regular tank and a gravel underbed.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Kinda like the Brunner setups years ago in that it had a table at the bottum of the tank and the distributor is of an odd size, their valve is the only one that will work.
    If that distributor breaks or the table breaks out with the whole tank.. and there is no reusing the tank in another job, or changing the distributor size for increasing the flow rate through the tank.

In my experience they work very well with heavy media and do reduce backwash flow requirements. Both disadvantages cited above are real--they cost more and if they break it is a single unit and the whole unit must be replaced--there are no separable parts.

Another problem is you can not get the distributor tube out when replacing the media. That requires emptying the tank by pouring the media out or using a small wet shop vac tube instead of a tool meant to pump the media out with water pressure.

Bob, how long have you used a Vortech tank and how much water do you think that type tank 'saves' over a gravel under bed?

Do you sell that type tank or did you buy one as a consumer?
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.