Fixture units

Users who are viewing this thread

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
Twinpeaksr's post and Terry's reply brought something to a head for me. I don't understand how to use fixture units for supply or DWV. I only know they help calculate pipe sizing requirements based on fixtures served. Can someone here help please? Thanks

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
You get drainage fixture units and that relates to the pipe size (somewhat) and more to the venting pie sizes.
Water supply fixture units relates to water pipe sizes.

What are you trying to understand?

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm starting with the assumption that there are charts for these units, and that x number of units requires a certain size pipe, be it supply or DWV. A lav sink would seem to have less Fixture Units than a shower, for example. But that's the extent of what I think I know.

iconicplumber

JMan plumber/gasfitter
Reaction score
:D i wish i could help but if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

the dialogue would fill this page and more on how to properly size dwv(drain waste and vent), that being said if you had a more specific question i might be able to help you out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dfu

Drainage sizes are dependent on the number of fixtures connected to the pipe and the pipe lengths. Water fixture units are also based on the number of faucets, BUT, there is also a factor applied because they know that not every faucet and toilet is going to be used at the same time. Therefore, water supply tables vary according to the building's usage and number of occupants.

Gator37

Retired prof. engr.
Reaction score
Good answer Jimbo

Good answer Jimbo.
A fixture unit is a fictitious number (from a code which is based on years of collective experience) assigned to a fixture (just a number assigned to a fixture), be it waste, vent, water supply, etc.
It provides a diversity to sizing, in other words if you had two 2" lines from a fixture, you would not size the collector pipe for twice the area of one 2" pipe. This is done because it not highly likely that all the fixtures would be turned on at the same time.
Some codes like the NPC or the IPC have examples on sizing in their appendix.

Twinpeaksr

Engineer
Reaction score
On the DWV side, is there a down side to oversizing the vent or drain? I can't think of any but thought I would put it out there.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks