Under Sink Plumbing All OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

asianhawk

Reaction score
Hi, I had my new sink plumbed about a year ago, and it's all been fine, but then it started to stink every time i emptied the sink. I have been under the sink and cleaned all the pipes out (they were all ladden with green scum), but am concerned about how my pipes have been put in. I've seen ideal diagrams, just wanted your views (see image attached).

There is a main sink to the left and a small one to the right. The only prerequisite was that there was a junction to attach a washing machine if i installed one later (which would be fruther to the right). The dark grey corners are glued and there is ever such a slight incline from the u-bend along the pipe with the writing on it.

ps. having put it all back together, i've now got a little leak at the mid section of the horizontal pipe at the back - i guess i need some threading cement? to fix that, and the right sink has always drained away, when the plug is in (around the outer rim of the plug area - which i guess needs some plumbers putty? around it)

thanks for your opinions.

Attachments

• IMAGE_166.jpg
    IMAGE_166.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 4,287

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

There is nothing wrong with that system that could not be cured by taking the whole thing out and throwing it in the garbage can. Then put in a proper drainage system.
1. It is a illegal "S" trap drain
2. Good luck with the flooding if you EVER connect a washing machine to that drain.
3. The "front" drain pipe is HIGHER than the rear one.
4. Even a handyman could install a drain better than that one.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You could not configure a washing machine standpipe under there and comply with code.
NO to your question on the drain plug.
There is no fitting in your picture which would use thread tape or joint compound.

Start by putting the trap right at the stub out from the wall. Then configure a contiunous waste, center outlet or end outlet, to join drain from the two sinks and discharge them to the trap/

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I think he means washing machine = dishwasher (not clothes washer).

Edit: This is just a guess. However, I guess he could mean either as it is pretty common to put a clothes washer in a kitchen in Europe.

Last edited:

asianhawk

Reaction score
Under Sink Plumbing Ok?

thanks for the replies. Confirmed what i thought. ps. Yes, you're right, i was querying about adding a 'dishwasher', not a washing machine.

I'm going to have a go a doing it from scratch like the diagram attached. Just a couple of questions:

1) the long pipe shown between the two sinks (1) is constructed angled. Does it have a specific name?

2) for putting a connection for a dishwasher, would it be best to put a Y junction at point 3 on the diagram, just use the stopper connection that is already there and unused (point 2 on the diagram), or change the corner somehow (between points 1 and 2 on the diagram) to incorporate a connection there.

thanks

Attachments

• IMAGE_169.jpg
    IMAGE_169.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 6,574

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
The connections are usually something like this:

sink_dw.jpg

At least in the US, if you didn't have a disposer there, you would install a tailpiece (part that extends down from the sink drain) that has a dishwasher connector (basically a nipple in the side for the dishwasher hose).

asianhawk

Reaction score
Under Sink Plumbing Ok?

Everything sorted (see attached).

The junction on the Y junction can take the nipple for the dishwasher (if ever needed).

thanks for confirmatory assistance.

ps. the original section was done by assistants of my kitchen fitters (handymen i guess) who said it would be no problem (which i assumed it wouldn't be). Won't be so trusting next time.

Attachments

• IMAGE_170.jpg
    IMAGE_170.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 3,618

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Much better. This arrangement will serve you well.
Were you able to re-use all the old fittings? It looks like you might have even had a few spares.

asianhawk

Reaction score
undersink plumbing

Much better. This arrangement will serve you well.
Were you able to re-use all the old fittings? It looks like you might have even had a few spares.

most of it. I invested in a few extra extension bits (cos i was fussy about getting the heights right), but all done for under a tenner so i'm pretty happy (not to mention the satisfaction of doing it one'self). And i put some silicone around the sink plug so that doesn't leak any more either. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks