Pump Siezed?

Users who are viewing this thread

the357boa

Reaction score
No Water today. I have problems with ants in my pressure switch so I just went out to reset it but there weren't any ants and the well wouldn't kick on.

I checked breakers...they are on, so I pulled power disconnect at the pump and replaced. When I did that pump started for 1-2 seconds then stopped. I would describe it as sounding jammed or bearings seized. If I pull disconnect again and replace it wont start again but if I wast 1-2 minutes, it will make the same 1-2 sec start then stop cycle.

The pump is a submerged style 2 wire + ground. Thats about all I know about it, the well was existing when I bought the property. I have no idea if its shallow or deep. The owner died several years ago so I can't ask him. I've owned property for 8yrs and can say that the well wasn't brand new when I got it. I'd estimate 12+ years given the condition of the existing pressure tank when I purchased property. Replaced that tank approximently 6yrs ago for a failed bladder.

I by passed pressure switch electrical and straight wired to the pump with lwater line cracked open approximently 6 inches from well head before pressure switch etc. Same result, 1-2 sec start and then freeze up.

Temps are about 45deg here in florida so I know it isn't frozen anywhere.

Any help/suggestions? I was in construction so you can imagine how tight finances are...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thans

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Either a bad wire on the way to the pump, or the pump needs replacing. I suspect the latter.

the357boa

Reaction score
I just got a little more info from a friend...I live in the plant city florida area and it seems that the local news is airing reports that numerous people are without water today from wells.

Plant City is the strawberry capital of the south and it seems farmers have been watering near non stop for several days due to freezing temperatures. Sinkholes have been popping up everywhere because of the massive amounts of water pumped out of the aquifer the last few days.

Could it be that my pump is stopping because my well is dry? What is the consensus that the pump might still be good just not running for lack of water? Do pumps have that kind of safety mechanism built into them to keep from burning up?

Any guesses to how long it will be until water levels would return to a normal level if this the case for my outage or would I need to have well drilled deeper?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You need an ammeter, ohmmeter and voltage meter. When the water stops does the pump keep running or are you blowing the breaker?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks