1/4 " or 5/16" T-Bolts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brawndo Plumbor

I like money.
Reaction score
What do professionals prefer 1/4" or 5/16" T-Bolts for toilet to flange installation?

Anyone ever have luck with the snapoff type giving them the correct length?

Sorry I know this is a real Brawndo type of question but I have found little about it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bolts

Functionally there is no difference. You are not trying to keep a truck from pulling the toilet off the floor. All the bolts do is secure it to the flange. Anything that would damage a 1/4" bolt would also break the toilet.

closet-bolts-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Any will work fine. I go the extra step and secure the johnny bolts to the closet collar with washers and bolts. This way the bolts are secure and wont move around when setting the bowl.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seems to me that toilet manufactures include 1/4" bolts with their toilets, and as HJ points out, all you are trying to do is hold the thing securely in place. I always use and extra washer and nut to hold the bolts firmly upright for ease of aligning the toilet. I don't like those snap off bolts. I put the washers and nuts on the long bolts and cut the bolts after tightening the nuts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks