Sewage pump basin

Users who are viewing this thread

mightybhwk

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm installing a sewage pump basin into an original utility/washer sump pump hole. I have another sump pump for the rain water. My question is when I was cleaning out the hole I noticed that table water came back in. Could I drill small holes in the bottom of the basin to allow table water to enter? Or will the rain water sump handle this? This is for a basement bathroom install.

Also, is there a way to cut cast iron without a snapper? My floor drain is cast and I wanted it to tie into the new pvc drain.

Thanks,
Randy

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you put holes in the tank, this would also act as a sump for the ground water, plus, you'd be adding polution to the ground water, as things will go both ways. My unprofessional opinion. You need to anchor that extraction tank well, or it will float up from the ground water.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Absolutely do not drill holes in that pit. If you are getting ground water back in that pit then you need to leave that pit for the function it serves, get a sewage ejector pit next to it. Otherwise you will find yourself with numerous problems, along with sewage odor inside the home and outside the home with no way to get rid of it.

Sulconst2

Reaction score
rent a snapper. or buy a ridgid for $300. sweet tool!

dont drill the ejector pump. human waste under your slab!

your basement would smell like john wayne gasey's crawl space!

mightybhwk

Reaction score
I didn't think that drilling holes in the bottom of the basin was a good idea. I just didn't understand why the rain water sump wasn't pumping the table water out. I looked into the rain water sump and there is water in there. When I lift up on the float the pump does work. Should I lower the pump into the hole or is there a way to adjust the float level? Maybe the pump isn't pumping out enough of the rain water that's why I'm seeing water in the other sump.

mightybhwk

Reaction score
Has anyone use this blade in their reciprocating saw to cut cast? I read that it's suppose to do a good job.

Milwaukee
Sawzall Blade Tungsten Carbide 9" L
Model 48-00-1430

Milwaukee designs and manufactures Sawzall blades for the toughest professional applications. Designed for maximize performance in specific cutting applications. Durable, long life blades are the goal of every blade we make. This blade has a 1/2 inch universal tang that fits all Sawzalls and standard competitive saws. Includes three individual blades. Coarse Grit, 9" for cutting hardwood flooring, cast iron, stainless steel, fiberglass materials, (polyesters, epoxies, melamines), ceramic tile, stone, slate, clay pipe, carbon, brick, plaster, marble, and chalkboard.

• 1/2 in. Universal Tang fits all Sawzalls
• Coarse Grit, 9 in. Length, Tungsten Carbide Blade
• Medium and coarse grits for cutting hardwood flooring, cast iron, stainless steel, fiberglass materials, (polyesters, epoxies, melamines), ceramic tile, stone, slate, clay pipe, carbon, brick, plaster, marble, and chalkboard.
• 3 blades per pouch

Store SKU # 132370
Internet # 169365
Catalog # 100088519
Price: $19.97/ea

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Sawzall blades work if you have an hour to spend cutting the cast iron. I use an angle grinder with a 4" diamond blade that goes right through cast iron without sparks. Water always seeks it level; if it is far enough below the concrete slab to prevent moisture up above then it is fine. The sump pump was there for a reason, I would not disable it. Not too smart of an idea especially if turbulent weather happens to come around.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you must dig a new hole --DO IT RIGHT

you are just going to have to install a new
hole in the ground.

tear up the concrete and install a new pit --- or someday

if you ever want to sell the house ,

if it is caught by an inspector,

you will have to do it right

or you will have to do it all over again...

and that will not be cheap.....

so bite the bullett and DO IT RIGT the first time

miscojohn

Reaction score
cutting cast iron

I recently did some plumbing at my son's older house. Needed to connect a kitchen and laundry drain line to 2" cast iron drain pipe. Checked with couple of tool rental companies and they didn't have the snapper tool. So I bought a large pack of regular Milwaukee metal cutting blades (fine tooth). I was amazed at how quickly they cut right through that cast iron pipe. Original blade made both cuts in several minutes each.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks