(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: How do i set-up my clack ws1.25?

DIY Junior Member

Default How do i set-up my clack ws1.25?

I am in a new house with a clack ws1.25 valve, 18x33 brine tank, 10x54 mineral tank, 40k of sst=60 resin, city water @ 8 hardness. 2 people in the house. It seems to be using way to much salt?? Do I have to regenerate every 7 or 14 days? Why not every 30 days? Any down side to 30 days?
    That works out about right on my water use?

please help and thanks........the Movie Guy

For good life on your resin you should regenerate at least every 8 days. With your hardness, and I assume no iron or manganese, and assuming typical water usage of 60 gal per day per person your total hardness to remove every 8 days is 2 people x 60 gal/day/person x 8 grains/gal x 8 days =9680 grains. So I suggest you set your capacity to 10,000 grains, hardness to 8 grains, day override to 8, and set your salt dose to 3 lbs per regeneration. With these settings you should use approximately 3 lbs of salt per week and have soft water.

I should note that in theory you could use a slightly lower salt setting with SST-60 resin but the settings above should provide you with consistent soft water and reasonalbe use of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by MOVIE GUY View Post
    I am in a new house with a clack ws1.25 valve, 18x33 brine tank, 10x54 mineral tank, 40k of sst=60 resin, city water @ 8 hardness. 2 people in the house. It seems to be using way to much salt?? Do I have to regenerate every 7 or 14 days? Why not every 30 days? Any down side to 30 days?
    That works out about right on my water use?

please help and thanks........the Movie Guy
    A 10" x 54" is a 1.5 cuft softener, not 40K although you could program it for 40K of regenerated capacity. Doing so is going to get you very poor salt efficiency.

And why a 1.25" control valve? You could have used 1.25" plumbing connectors on a Clack WS-1 valve.

And you certainly didn't need to buy SST-60 resin with its serious increased price.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.