Replace 1949 grey Crane toilet with...what?

Users who are viewing this thread

slantsixdan

Reaction score
Howdy, all. Can anyone point me at a good replacement for an original Crane toilet that's been in place since the house was built in '49-'50? It has begun to leak; I've turned off its supply valve but it has got to be long past due for replacement; its flush action is rather sluggish (sixty years' worth of silt in the trapway!) and uses, I donno, about seventy-five gallons per flush.

The difficulty is the house is in extremely original condition and we'd like to keep it that way; a modern-design toilet will look jarringly out of place. All the fixtures (lavatory, bath tub, toilet) in the washroom are Crane, and they're all "dove grey" (a medium neutral grey color -- does anyone make grey toilets any more?). What's needed is a toilet with upright, linear, angular, boxy styling. I've been to some manufacturers' websites, but the "ye olde tyme classique antique" type stuff I've seen will not suit; top-flared bowls, brass-ringed trip levers, bizarre curvy sculptured tank lids and other such frippery are all wrong for the era of the house.

The green toilet shown in this picture below isn't quite exactly what I have, but it's close:

victoria-green.jpg

Help?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Grey is going to be pretty tough.

I can factory order gray in Toto,
Also Kohler and A/S has gray.

It's a matter of calling sometimes and seeing what they have to ship.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Toto Dartmouth. It isn't exactly "old fashioned" in appearance, but it may be worth looking at. It's a great toilet, too!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks