Transition cement

Users who are viewing this thread

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my county, DWV can be CI, galv, copper, PVC, or ABS. I've seen a green pipe cement called "transition cement" that's permitted for joining ABS to PVC. Any comments or experiences? Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
First thing you need to understand is that PVC and ABS are not "glued" together. The products we commonly call "glue" are actually solvents that briefly melt the top surfaces of the pipe and fitting which then blend together when joined. This is a solvent welded joint. Since ABS and PVC are different materials chemically, they need different solvents. I have heard of a product that supposedly will work on both ABS and PVC thereby allowing the two materials to be joined, but I am not sure of how reliable it is. I would still use a banded coupling if I had to join ABS and PVC. Others may have a better read on this than I, but I would proceed cautiously.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cautiously is right! In the past i've used a male adaptor of one and female of the other, taped and doped. Can rubber couplings be concealed?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What kind of pipe did you use tape and dope on? Please note there is a difference in the neoprene (rubber) sleeve connector and a banded coupler. The sleeve has a hose clamp on each end is is for use underground only. The banded coupler has a clamp that covers the entire sleeve and is the one that is OK to use above ground. What are you doing that would require the connector to be concealed? If you are mixing pipe mediums, it would seem that perhaps you are doing a hack plumbing job. Maybe a bit more detail would clear this up.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Cautiously is right! In the past i've used a male adaptor of one and female of the other, taped and doped. Can rubber couplings be concealed?

Rubber couplings with only hose clamps on either end are for underground use only...so yes they can be concealed under ground...

For use above ground only banded couplings can be used... and they can be buried in a wall...

You are better off using a banded coupling or male and female adp. to transition with....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
transition

Our gas utility used the green transition cement to join their high pressure PVC and ABS gas lines, so I am sure it will work adequately on the "no pressure" DWV lines.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gary- as I said, I've taped and doped a male adaptor of either ABS or PVC, and screwed it into a female adaptor of the other type of plastic, to avoid "ferncos" because I didn't understand their proper use.If there's ABS present I tie into it with PVC because I've read that ABS crazes, but clients object to removing it on the grounds that "it'll go bad later". I also don't have the special torque wrench for them, although they aren't real spendy. Thanks for the hackalert, though.When replacing drains, I've generaly cut the galv out of the closet bend or tee and chased the threads with a tap,then screwed in PVC. So, banded couplings above ground and rubber boots below.Thanks,Cass. And HJ! Don't 'spose there's reducing banded couplings? Not sure how they'd make those, but my biggest tap (and die) is 1.5" ...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks