I don't understand the cold in America

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Despite global warming we are going through a cold snap (it would be even colder if Cass stopped driving his car).

That aside, it got me thinking. It's 26 degrees in DC right now and my house is snug....just. The double glazing is doing its thing and the 16 inches of insulation in the roof seems to be working.

But my house is still pretty loose, despite all the work I have done on it to make it more energy efficient. I can't imagine what it would be like in here if it were zero degrees outside or even minus 20 degrees.

So, are people that live in parts of America where it routinely gets down into the minus temperatures just cold or do they have tricks to keep their houses warm which the rest of us have not caught on to yet, or just don't need?

Cookie

Reaction score
Shut up. lol. Put yer woolies on. IT was 9F here this morning, now... a heatwave at 15F.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Ian , these are what you need....

Being from England I doubt you know
what these are.....

these are testicle warmers,
you just tuck them into that wool pouch
first thing in the morning and you stay
warm all day long out in bitter cold temps..

ian, if it gets too cold over on teh
east coast for you, and you want a pair,

let me know....

these shown here are extra small ,
and should fit you well

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Shut up. lol. Put yer woolies on. IT was 9F here this morning, now... a heatwave at 15F.

Minus 8F here this morning. The Canucks and North Dakotans on the High Plains don't seem to mind until it is -30 F. :eek: Thank God we don't get that cold here. I'll shave when we break 32 F again...haven't needed to so far this year.

I moved South after it hit -26 F locally two decades ago. After shoveling the drive for the umpteemth time in the past month I remember why I was sick of winter. Of course, back then I had been working summers in the Bering Sea so I hadn't had a real summer for a long time either...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They have better windows and doors, more insulation in the attic and some of them their walls are 12" thick not 6"....

I have reciently bought a coal burning stove so I can help Ian get warmer down in DC...you should see the black clouds of smoke this sucker gives off...

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I have a kerosene heater I haven't used in 5 years he can have, great for the garage while working on the cars. ;) Unless one is lucky enough to have a already heated garage that is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks