Tub drain removal for tub removal

Users who are viewing this thread

FJK

Reaction score
2 questions
Even though I did this before, I can't remember what I did.

1st. Tub drain fitting removal. I have a cast fitting with a toe drain. The toe drain fits on a stem which has an integral cast bar across the bottom of the fitting. As a result, there are 2 180° slots in the bottom of the fitting, rather than 4 slots that a regular drain that a "dumb bell " tool would normally engage. I need something to engage those 2 slots to unscrew the drain fitting. Plier handles & an adjustable wrench are not geting the job done (too much flex).

2nd. If the overflow & drain are disconnected from the tub only, can I manuver the tub out? Meaning, do I have to also disconnect the overflow from the drain piping? Everything is brass nuts & cast brass pipes... no leverage to brake loose the nut. I don't care to cut an access hole at this time.

Thanks, FJK

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

There are several tools to remove that drain fitting, but you do not have them and I do not know where you could find them in your area. If you can find a piece of flat steel the right thickness and width, you can insert that into the slots and use that to unscrew it. You could also cut the strainer out using a hacksaw blade. This would not have to be as precise as usual since you are discarding the tub and do not have to worry about damaging it.

FJK

Reaction score
Well good news & some issues still to resolve. I got the tub drain fitting out by making my own tool. I took a 5" nipple of 1" iron pipe. Drilled a 1/4" perpendicular to the pipe, about 3/8" down from 1 end. I kept drilling through to the other side, so that I had two 1/4" holes 180° apart. Then I took an abrasive cut off wheel on an air die grinder & cut 2 slots from the end of the pipe to the sides of each hole, effectively getting 2 notches on the pipe 180° apart. Now the pipe had two tangs to engage the cross piece in the fitting. Using a pipe wrench on the 5" nipple, I could unscrew the fitting. It took me longer to type this than to make the tool.

I also removed the overflow pipe to the drain elbow, after much fanagling & figuring out leverage points for the channel locks. I did this because it looks like I will have to tip the tub lengthwise, drain side down. I'll explain the reason in the "removing a cast iron tub" post.

FJK... still on it!

pasco-drain-key.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks