Deep residential well

Users who are viewing this thread

bcollins

Reaction score
I have a new 1,000' deep well with 600' static water level and expected 3 gpm recharge.

We will use a 2hp 5 gpm submersible pump up to a 1,500 gal atmospheric tank before going into the pressure tank in the house.

The driller recommends using 1' galvanized drop pipe. Is this my only choice or can I use sch 80 or sch 120 pvc drop pipe?

Thanks

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I have a new 1,000' deep well
Someone will be along to answer your question, but:
Your well depth is deeper than 98% of the well depths I have noted from this forum. Here's the stats

15 =lowest sample value
1000 =highest sample value
51 =number of samples
140 =median value of samples
195 =average of samples
200 =most often occurring sample value

Is there some reason your well had to be so deep?

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
You never did say how deep your pump was set, but I would go with steel.
Plastic will fatigue over time, and could break.
If there is ever a problem with build up of any kind, the steel will give you something to pull on. PVC or poly pipe, will not.
If you put any kind of bind on pvc or poly, and it breaks and falls off, your stuck. Steel will give you a chance at getting the pump out.
I prefer steel but others will say sch80 pvc. or poly.

Travis

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Normally I hate to see pumps set on galvy pipe because it is prone to rusting. However, if you have to set the pump close to 1000' I think galvy is the only way to go. PVC, even sch 80 is not going to hold up to that stress.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
For what its worth, I pulled 800 feet of schd. 40 pvc with schd. 80 glued couplers - still intact- from a 35 year old well. Miracle. Even the damn black rope still had about its original break strength. It was a very low use well however. Still using the rope on hay tarps. Wire even tested out and re-used it in shallower wells.

I would highly recommend a smaller HP pump with more stages to pump at 1 or 2 GPM to a larger tank. I would consider doing my calcs from 7 or 800 feet in that case. You would not drawn down the well much and save a bunch on wire. You can buy a 3000 gal tank here for $599 [Poly] And add a pumpsaver box as well.

I think the schd 80 PVC with SS couplers will handle that easily- Check the Mfg's specs. Some guys with access to custom long length couplers might try 1 piece of 200 psi black poly. Follow the Mfg's instructions for heating the poly to soften it to make the connection- Don't let the average yahoo with his soldering torch try it - your pump will go AWOL. Use RATED SS hose clamps - US made, expensive, and NOT from the Ace hardware.

Galv. pipe is from the stone age, and the quality is all over the place- total crap shoot. Made on a friday in China? Not in my water! Lots of 800 to
1000' wells in this area.

The smaller pump with the longest run time and fewer cycles [float switch in tank] will exponentially increase the piping life from torque and short cycling from your monster 2hp pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks