Need to run an interior gas line...

Users who are viewing this thread

skinius_maximus

Reaction score
i have to run approx. 20'-0" of gas piping from my basement to a kitchen stove on the first floor.

i have the routing all figured out, but before i go any further i have a couple questions. can i use the "yellow" flexible hose they sell at home depot. If yes, i will have to connect about four of them together using couplings. will there be friction loss i need to worry about? will the recommended 1/2" O.D. be enough to supply a gas stove (4 burners/oven)?

i apreciate any feedback/advice...

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
i have to run approx. 20'-0" of gas piping from my basement to a kitchen stove on the first floor.

i have the routing all figured out, but before i go any further i have a couple questions. can i use the "yellow" flexible hose they sell at home depot. If yes, i will have to connect about four of them together using couplings. will there be friction loss i need to worry about? will the recommended 1/2" O.D. be enough to supply a gas stove (4 burners/oven)?

i apreciate any feedback/advice...

No you are not allowed to connect flex gas connectors together or run them through a wall or floor. I suggest having the work done by a profesional.

Jastori

Reaction score
Yes, rigid black iron pipe is probably the best for this. 1/2" is likely OK, although you really should check the gas code tables (or talk to a pro) to be sure you don't need 3/4" based on pressure drop and BTU requirements of the stove (it depends somewhat on the existing supply where you will be branching off).

In our town, a homeowner can DIY a gas line install like this, so long as it is permitted and inspected. That process will help ensure you satisfy code requirements. They will also tell you what testing procedures are required. In some locations, a licensed professional is required for all gas work. Since you are working with gas, there is a safety issue, and I would definitely not recommend an installation without a proper permit, testing, and inspection.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
BTU required by the stove,lenght of pipe and pressure will determine pipe size. First you must determine if the existing system will handle the expected load placed on the system by the addition of the stove. We use copper for natural gas pipe here,usually 2lb system. Flared or brazed.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The flexible connectors you are talking about are very vulnerable, and only reluctantly do some building codes allow them. I some areas, they may not be allowed at all. And in ALL cases, the length is limited to 6' max, it is not allowed or safe to joint two together, and that type of line can never be run inside a wall or through a floor or ceiling.

dargo

Reaction score
The flexible connectors you are talking about are very vulnerable, and only reluctantly do some building codes allow them. I some areas, they may not be allowed at all. And in ALL cases, the length is limited to 6' max, it is not allowed or safe to joint two together, and that type of line can never be run inside a wall or through a floor or ceiling.

I agree they are vulnerable and my code allows that. In my area I ran then over 50 Ft (tied together (2) 25') and was stated okay by city. That is all I ran in my basement since time was money...I used Gastite at the time.

For me, it is like PEX for water vs copper. It has pros/ cons. When I converted my grill from LP to NG, I had to TEE off main to the side of the house. Used normal pipe since it was so easy and it was cheap. It is not too hard here since it is threads. Gas is no diff then messing with a 220 line. Problem is home cheapo makes some people think it is too easy (and they should not be messing with anything)..

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I agree they are vulnerable and my code allows that. In my area I ran then over 50 Ft (tied together (2) 25') and was stated okay by city. That is all I ran in my basement since time was money...I used Gastite at the time.

For me, it is like PEX for water vs copper. It has pros/ cons. When I converted my grill from LP to NG, I had to TEE off main to the side of the house. Used normal pipe since it was so easy and it was cheap. It is not too hard here since it is threads. Gas is no diff then messing with a 220 line. Problem is home cheapo makes some people think it is too easy (and they should not be messing with anything)..

Gastite and what the original poster is asking is different. Gastite is a piping system and appliances connectors are for just connecting applliances from the shut off to the appliance.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
explosion-at-farm.jpg

Oooops!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

dargo

Reaction score
[quote="Redwood, post: 243568"

Oooops!:eek:[/QUOTE]

LOL..The good old scare deal...I see this daily on all sort of things that "pros" need to justify there prices. Again if you are asking, most likely you should not be doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

dargo

Reaction score
Gastite and what the original poster is asking is different. Gastite is a piping system and appliances connectors are for just connecting applliances from the shut off to the appliance.

System? It is flex and you still need normal gas fittings to make it work. Again, it is gas not putting a man on the moon.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
System? It is flex and you still need normal gas fittings to make it work. Again, it is gas not putting a man on the moon.

Yes a system. It includes specifically designed fittings and tube. Nothing normal about them. You are correct in that its not putting a man on the moon but it could scatter him throughout the neighborhood if its not done correct.;)

dargo

Reaction score
Yes a system. It includes specifically designed fittings and tube. Nothing normal about them. You are correct in that its not putting a man on the moon but it could scatter him throughout the neighborhood if its not done correct.;)

Okay, define a system? Yup it does but it does NOT include all fittings etc. It is not too hard here. It is VERY normal here and you still NEED normal fittings to do the final connection.

Lastly, it is not hard and a bad water tank will blow a roof too. It is not hard but I would not ask here. I still love way people are making this harder then it is.. Yup, it is gas...bad stuff. Just like a 220 line, smoking, driving a car...do I need to go on. Just saying you can play both sides if you cannot read between the lines here. BUt I am on a plumbing forum so I can see where this might go. YMMV

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The original post clearly asked about corrugated flexible gas connectors, and connecting several end to end with fittings. That is VERY different than using CSST such as gastite or the other brands. VERY different.

dargo

Reaction score
The original post clearly asked about corrugated flexible gas connectors, and connecting several end to end with fittings. That is VERY different than using CSST such as gastite or the other brands. VERY different.

Well then. there you go. I go back to what I said, if you are asking here, you should not be doing it.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Okay, define a system? Yup it does but it does NOT include all fittings etc. It is not too hard here. It is VERY normal here and you still NEED normal fittings to do the final connection.

Lastly, it is not hard and a bad water tank will blow a roof too. It is not hard but I would not ask here. I still love way people are making this harder then it is.. Yup, it is gas...bad stuff. Just like a 220 line, smoking, driving a car...do I need to go on. Just saying you can play both sides if you cannot read between the lines here. BUt I am on a plumbing forum so I can see where this might go. YMMV

In this context I would define it as a specifically designed pipe and fitting system. The manufacturer refers to this as "The gastite system". I never said it was hard or even made it out to be hard but if your ignorant to whats legal and whats not then your shouldn't be installing gas pipe unsupervised. I wouldn't suggest a home owner installing any electrical wire if they asked if stringing extension cords through the walls if thats their idea of installing wiring. Enjoy the rest of the night sir;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks