Need to run an interior gas line...

Users who are viewing this thread

dargo

Reaction score
In this context I would define it as a specifically designed pipe and fitting system. The manufacturer refers to this as "The gastite system". I never said it was hard or even made it out to be hard but if your ignorant to whats legal and whats not then your shouldn't be installing gas pipe unsupervised. I wouldn't suggest a home owner installing any electrical wire if they asked if stringing extension cords through the walls if thats their idea of installing wiring. Enjoy the rest of the night sir;)

"specifically designed pipe and fitting system"???? Most do it to save time etc not designed etc for anything....I agree it is not hard since it is WAY easy and most pros make it out more then needed.

I agree if you are "ignorant" as you stated or asked here most times you should not be doing it. :)

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gastite

Gastite SPECIFICALLY states that its materials are NOT to be sold to ANYONE who does not possess a cerificate stating that they are qualified to install it. DO YOU have one? I do. Gastite, and the other CSST manufacturers ALSO state that it CANNOT be used as an appliance connector between the valve and the appliance. Flexible CSST and flexible appliance connectors are two different things and are NOT interchangeable. DIY'ers do whatever works, regardless of the long term problems, which is why they ALL want to know how to install complete DWV systems and save the expense of a plumber. After all, the "flip this house" and "DIY" programs ALL explain that "anyone can be a plumber", and any other trade. EXPERTS know the long term problems and try to avoid them by installing things PROPERLY.

jbiddle

Reaction score
What's the rational behind not running a flexible appliance line through the floor to a shut-off valve directly underneath the floor?

Gellfex

Reaction score
What's the rational behind not running a flexible appliance line through the floor to a shut-off valve directly underneath the floor?

Without getting into the properties of the hose, the valve needs to be reachable nearby for when the appliance is serviced, though I've seen some well hidden doozies. In one of my apartments you need to pull out the refrigerator to reach the valve for the wall oven. It took me forever to find it.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
LOL..The good old scare deal...I see this daily on all sort of things that "pros" need to justify there prices. Again if you are asking, most likely you should not be doing.

Justify our prices? You mean cover our overhead, pay our help a decent living wage and provide service? Or should we just give it all away? I'm sure you work for nothing. :cool:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I rarely mess with gas lines but those times that I have I always chose to run black iron pipe as much as possible with a shut off valve at either end. I use a compressor and pressure gauge to pump up to at least 80 psi for a minimum of 15 minutes. It's overkill but that's better than the possible disasters. I've always used either soft copper or the metal flex appliance connectors. I've never had a problem with an inspector or with an appliance connection. IMO, the little extra work and expense is well worth the investment.

dargo

Reaction score
Gastite SPECIFICALLY states that its materials are NOT to be sold to ANYONE who does not possess a cerificate stating that they are qualified to install it. DO YOU have one? I do. Gastite, and the other CSST manufacturers ALSO state that it CANNOT be used as an appliance connector between the valve and the appliance. Flexible CSST and flexible appliance connectors are two different things and are NOT interchangeable. DIY'ers do whatever works, regardless of the long term problems, which is why they ALL want to know how to install complete DWV systems and save the expense of a plumber. After all, the "flip this house" and "DIY" programs ALL explain that "anyone can be a plumber", and any other trade. EXPERTS know the long term problems and try to avoid them by installing things PROPERLY.

I have heard that before with lots of products and it does not fly. All I am saying is that I could careless what should not be sold to XX and it happens all the time; and that is more then just plumbing items.

Last edited by a moderator:

dargo

Reaction score
Justify our prices? You mean cover our overhead, pay our help a decent living wage and provide service? Or should we just give it all away? I'm sure you work for nothing. :cool:

Yup.I own a biz and know what markup means and many in certain areas, not going into it, need to use scare tastics, or "we know more then anyone, or it is complex etc. I know we need to make profit but do not make it out more then it is.

Profit sure but do not make it out more then it is, aka lie to justfy a price. When somthing is $4 to buy and many businesses want $75...I could do on and on but this a DIY forum not a business networking forum.

I see this daily on other forums. It is 95% pros that think all are wrong and they prices are correct. okay.....:confused::confused:

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have heard that before with lots of products and it does not fly. All I am saying is that I could careless what should not be sold to XX and it happens all the time; and that is more then just plumbing items.

Go try and buy some gas tite and let me know how it goes. Unless you know someone or something you won't get it. Walk into an unfamiliar plumbing wholesaler and ask to buy some gastite. If they sell it to you they're taking a big liability because if you install that SYSTEM of piping and it fails and you do some serious damage your likely going to sue gas tite for having a defective product and in turn they will sue the whole saler who sold you the product you're NOT qualified to install no matter how great of DIY you think you are.

dargo

Reaction score
I rarely mess with gas lines but those times that I have I always chose to run black iron pipe as much as possible with a shut off valve at either end. I use a compressor and pressure gauge to pump up to at least 80 psi for a minimum of 15 minutes. It's overkill but that's better than the possible disasters. I've always used either soft copper or the metal flex appliance connectors. I've never had a problem with an inspector or with an appliance connection. IMO, the little extra work and expense is well worth the investment.

Good reasoning but 80 PSI??? Nothing like margin of 1000% LOL

For me gas is not what most make it out to be but gas people and company(s) make it out with fear. Comparing LP to NG and LP is way worse but that is besides the point. NG needs a very small window of air / gas to light and it you use common sense etc you are fine. It is not like a NG in your come is under 100 PSI. It is so low here and for me, I would worry more about water lines under water PSI then NG.

dargo

Reaction score
Go try and buy some gas tite and let me know how it goes. Unless you know someone or something you won't get it. Walk into an unfamiliar plumbing wholesaler and ask to buy some gastite. If they sell it to you they're taking a big liability because if you install that SYSTEM of piping and it fails and you do some serious damage your likely going to sue gas tite for having a defective product and in turn they will sue the whole saler who sold you the product you're NOT qualified to install no matter how great of DIY you think you are.

Maybe in non USA it is hard but I have found it VERY easy. Again I can buy restricted chemicals, example here, (not to be sold without lic) and many MANY can buy..Again not to hard here.

Just like certain water tanks area NOT to be sold to anyone..Seen it before..

Again with the scare deal (liability etc: see what I mean? Just calling it the way many see it and can do it. Not just this too.

PS I can buy gastite; not clue on gas tite here! LOL

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Maybe in non USA it is hard but I have found it VERY easy. Again I can buy restricted chemicals, example here, (not to be sold without lic) and many MANY can buy..Again not to hard here.

Just like certain water tanks area NOT to be sold to anyone..Seen it before..

Again with the scare deal (liability etc: see what I mean? Just calling it the way many see it and can do it. Not just this too.

PS I can buy gastite; not clue on gas tite here! LOL

I'm not trying a scare tatic I'm simply stating facts. If you find the facts fearful you should stay away from the products.

If someone sells you anything you are not allowed to buy they are taking a liability that someone, such as yourself, who is unqualified to use the product screws it up and causes some serious damages. I wouldn't sell anything to anyone who wasn't allowed to buy it if I knew I could be sued for doing so. Anyone who does is either very trusting or very stupid. I'd put my $ on the latter of the two.

PS. You're so funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love guys like you Dargo. You act like tradesmen shouldn't charge what we charge because you can do it yourself. Well good for you!!!!! I'm sure you do most of it borderline wrong and super cheap. Great! But there are lots of people out there who don't have any skills what-so-ever to even attempt hands on work.

I could rebuild my truck's engine if I wanted to figure out how to do it. But you know what? The time and energy I would invest into doing the job wouldn't be worth it because I could be out working making $100+ an hour. But maybe for you spending 10 hours of your time is only worth $100 so if you can save paying a $500 bill you saved $400. Lol.

dargo

Reaction score
[
I'm not trying a scare tatic I'm simply stating facts. If you find the facts fearful you should stay away from the products.

LMAO---Facts depends on what world you are in. Sure it is noted as that but look around. Not to hard to find.

If someone sells you anything you are not allowed to buy they are taking a liability that someone, such as yourself, who is unqualified to use the product screws it up and causes some serious damages. I wouldn't sell anything to anyone who wasn't allowed to buy it if I knew I could be sued for doing so. Anyone who does is either very trusting or very stupid. I'd put my $ on the latter of the two.

PS. You're so funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If someone says something I trust them 25% of the time. Most people that sell something do not have a clue. And what if the world ends and you car warranty is not up??????

I love guys like you Dargo. You act like tradesmen shouldn't charge what we charge because you can do it yourself. Well good for you!!!!! I'm sure you do most of it borderline wrong and super cheap. Great! But there are lots of people out there who don't have any skills what-so-ever to even attempt hands on work.

Again as I stated before there are forums for people like you. Everyone thinks all are wrong and they are right and there business is the best.

But you are right there are people that are not DIY (aka dummies) and people feed on them.

I could rebuild my truck's engine if I wanted to figure out how to do it. But you know what? The time and energy I would invest into doing the job wouldn't be worth it because I could be out working making $100+ an hour. But maybe for you spending 10 hours of your times is only worth $100 so if you can save paying a $500 bill you saved $400. Lol.

So why do you need an engine hmm? LOL..A) I would not be in that situation. B) Maybe education is not your strong point but maybe I would spend the time to do it since I would love to learn something new and work the brain. C) Money is not the issue since if I wanted I would not get my hands dirty but maybe some do. D) $100 per hour? You are cheap…

My point is still NG is not to be scared of. Use common sense and you are fine. If you need to ask here, stop and call someone else.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Good reasoning but 80 PSI??? Nothing like margin of 1000% LOL

For me gas is not what most make it out to be but gas people and company(s) make it out with fear. Comparing LP to NG and LP is way worse but that is besides the point. NG needs a very small window of air / gas to light and it you use common sense etc you are fine. It is not like a NG in your come is under 100 PSI. It is so low here and for me, I would worry more about water lines under water PSI then NG.

That statement must take the award for the most ignorant thing anyone has ever posted on a DIY forum.

You are a danger to your family and a danger to the neighborhood and I thank god you don't live anywhere near me. Guys like you, that think they know it all are the reason why we have codes and licenses so that with any luck you will only blow your own house off the foundation. That you dispute the dangers of working with gas would be laughable if it were not so dangerously ignorant. Yes, you probably can buy gas-tite, you can probably find a source for anthrax and C4 as well. What you apparently can not find is an ounce of common sense.

dargo

Reaction score
That statement must take the award for the most ignorant thing anyone has ever posted on a DIY forum.

You are a danger to your family and a danger to the neighborhood and I thank god you don't live anywhere near me. Guys like you, that think they know it all are the reason why we have codes and licenses so that with any luck you will only blow your own house off the foundation. That you dispute the dangers of working with gas would be laughable if it were not so dangerously ignorant. Yes, you probably can buy gas-tite, you can probably find a source for anthrax and C4 as well. What you apparently can not find is an ounce of common sense.

Really? Common sense is easy if you have a few degrees, know city/local codes, read a simpe IFGC book etc. IF I am so far wrong PROVE it!..NG is no like something magical and will blow up if you open a valve 50 ft from a lighter...The air/fuel window is small.

Again NG is NOTHING SPECIAL here bud. NG is < 1 PSI for a house after a meter (aka Regulator!!!!)..If I remember right, like 7" WC....MY GOD!!!! LOL

I know, it is magical and you need to be from Mars to mess with it..

Funny how some post some much BS right from the start.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score

Honestly, if you have to ask that question, well, in the interest of public liability, I agree that this thread has just gone off the tracks. I'm done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks