(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need to run an interior gas line...

DIY Junior Member

Default need to run an interior gas line...

i have to run approx. 20'-0" of gas piping from my basement to a kitchen stove on the first floor.

i have the routing all figured out, but before i go any further i have a couple questions. can i use the "yellow" flexible hose they sell at home depot. If yes, i will have to connect about four of them together using couplings. will there be friction loss i need to worry about? will the recommended 1/2" O.D. be enough to supply a gas stove (4 burners/oven)?

i apreciate any feedback/advice...

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skinius_maximus View Post
    i have to run approx. 20'-0" of gas piping from my basement to a kitchen stove on the first floor.

i have the routing all figured out, but before i go any further i have a couple questions. can i use the "yellow" flexible hose they sell at home depot. If yes, i will have to connect about four of them together using couplings. will there be friction loss i need to worry about? will the recommended 1/2" O.D. be enough to supply a gas stove (4 burners/oven)?

i apreciate any feedback/advice...
    No you are not allowed to connect flex gas connectors together or run them through a wall or floor. I suggest having the work done by a profesional.

DIY Junior Member

if you had to purely guess, what kind of expense am i looking at to have this work by a professional?

Thank you!

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skinius_maximus View Post
    if you had to purely guess, what kind of expense am i looking at to have this work by a professional?

Thank you!
    The type of pipe and jobsite conditions will have an impact on price. Just a guess 350.00-450.00

Yes, rigid black iron pipe is probably the best for this. 1/2" is likely OK, although you really should check the gas code tables (or talk to a pro) to be sure you don't need 3/4" based on pressure drop and BTU requirements of the stove (it depends somewhat on the existing supply where you will be branching off).

In our town, a homeowner can DIY a gas line install like this, so long as it is permitted and inspected. That process will help ensure you satisfy code requirements. They will also tell you what testing procedures are required. In some locations, a licensed professional is required for all gas work. Since you are working with gas, there is a safety issue, and I would definitely not recommend an installation without a proper permit, testing, and inspection.

Default gas

Gas ranges typically use a 3/4" pipe, and a novice should not even think about using polyethylene pipe.

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

BTU required by the stove,lenght of pipe and pressure will determine pipe size. First you must determine if the existing system will handle the expected load placed on the system by the addition of the stove. We use copper for natural gas pipe here,usually 2lb system. Flared or brazed.

Leave it up to the pro's you don't want to burn your house down.
    Thanks,
    Taylor Allen

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Gas is dangerous to run yourself. I would defiantly call a pro. You did the right thing coming here to the site for advice.

The flexible connectors you are talking about are very vulnerable, and only reluctantly do some building codes allow them. I some areas, they may not be allowed at all. And in ALL cases, the length is limited to 6' max, it is not allowed or safe to joint two together, and that type of line can never be run inside a wall or through a floor or ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The flexible connectors you are talking about are very vulnerable, and only reluctantly do some building codes allow them. I some areas, they may not be allowed at all. And in ALL cases, the length is limited to 6' max, it is not allowed or safe to joint two together, and that type of line can never be run inside a wall or through a floor or ceiling.

I agree they are vulnerable and my code allows that. In my area I ran then over 50 Ft (tied together (2) 25') and was stated okay by city. That is all I ran in my basement since time was money...I used Gastite at the time.

For me, it is like PEX for water vs copper. It has pros/ cons. When I converted my grill from LP to NG, I had to TEE off main to the side of the house. Used normal pipe since it was so easy and it was cheap. It is not too hard here since it is threads. Gas is no diff then messing with a 220 line. Problem is home cheapo makes some people think it is too easy (and they should not be messing with anything)..

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dargo View Post
    I agree they are vulnerable and my code allows that. In my area I ran then over 50 Ft (tied together (2) 25') and was stated okay by city. That is all I ran in my basement since time was money...I used Gastite at the time.

For me, it is like PEX for water vs copper. It has pros/ cons. When I converted my grill from LP to NG, I had to TEE off main to the side of the house. Used normal pipe since it was so easy and it was cheap. It is not too hard here since it is threads. Gas is no diff then messing with a 220 line. Problem is home cheapo makes some people think it is too easy (and they should not be messing with anything)..
    Gastite and what the original poster is asking is different. Gastite is a piping system and appliances connectors are for just connecting applliances from the shut off to the appliance.

Oooops!

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post

Oooops!

LOL..The good old scare deal...I see this daily on all sort of things that "pros" need to justify there prices. Again if you are asking, most likely you should not be doing.
    Last edited by dargo; 01-09-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackney plumbing View Post
    Gastite and what the original poster is asking is different. Gastite is a piping system and appliances connectors are for just connecting applliances from the shut off to the appliance.

System? It is flex and you still need normal gas fittings to make it work. Again, it is gas not putting a man on the moon.