Fernco Wax Free Toilet Seal

Users who are viewing this thread

McFee

Reaction score
I am having two new Kohler Serif two-piece toilets put in new construction by my plumber in a few weeks. He only uses the typical wax ring so I am somewhat reticent to suggest the wax-free seal before researching it a bit, or getting TL's advice. What is your opinion of this one Terry?

http://www.fernco.com/FTS.html

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never used the Fernco ring, but Fernco is a well known brand in plumbing supplies. I have used both wax and Fluidmaster waxless rings with good success. You likely will never have a problem with a ring of any brand so I think you might just as well go with the flow, (pun intended) and let the plumber use the brand/style he is comfortable with.

McFee

Reaction score
Kristi said:
Hey, what's wrong with wax? -----
-----------

First, if you don't land the toilet like a spaceship on the moon the first time, the wax ring gets out of shape. Next, you never know how good the seal is.
Later, if the toilet bolts get a little loose the wax loses its shape and seal.
If you plunge a clooged toilet you might blow the wax ring out.

Wax can be somewhat messy when installing, but beyond that, if you have ever have changed out an old toilet, the old wax is about as gross a piece of material as you are likely to encounter in the remodelling world.

I was not asking about wax though, but a product that looks like it does a better job of sealing with an easier installation ....and without the mess.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
seal

I have not used or seen the Fernco, but the ones I have used left we with less than an overwhelming vote of confidence when installed according to their directions, and installing them the way they made sense required two persons, one to guide the toilet with the waxless device into the pipe, and the other to actually lift and lower the toilet.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think one advantage of wax rings is that you can shift the toilet some and still have a good seal. I seriously doubt that plunging a clog would ever blow out a seal, wax or waxless. Again I say you are worrying about nothing, but if it will make you happy, tell the installer what you want, it's your dime.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plunger

You are correct about the plunging. If the stoppage is past the seal, then plunging will do no good and it will also not develop excess pressure. If it is in the toilet where plunging might help, then it will not put any pressure on the seal. But in most cases if the seal starts leaking it was already doing it and the plunging just caused it to appear sooner.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
I vote wax!

McFee, I've replaced many old toilets over the years - of course it's messy, they're meant to squeeze around the whole lot and keep that mess on the inside! After all, we know what's travelling down there decade after decade :)
It's not rocket science landing those puppies square, I step one side down on it's bolt and then step the next side down - we have a positive landing! If the ring loses it's shape and seal from the bolts loosening, then that toilet has been left to rock for way too long... which tells me that it's doing its job better than you would expect. I have had nothing but easy and non-messy installations with them, but we all have our own favourites, now don't we... ;)
enjoi!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks