Updating shower in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

87GNat

Reaction score
I removed my tile shower from my basement and will be installing a two piece Lasco unit. The existing drain is the lead type. After speaking with someone from Home Depot he said my only option for a new drain is to bust out the concrete around the exisiting drain, cut it off and attach a fernco fitting and then add a 2" PVC to the other end of the fitting. Is this my only option?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_5910.JPG
    IMG_5910.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 388

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The new strainer should come with a rubber donut to make your connection to the plastic pipe. You may have to adjust the length of the existing pipe. Do not use a fernco coupling to do this use a PVC coupling even if it requires you to chip away some concrete.

John

87GNat

Reaction score
Thanks John,
This is the new drain I bought, so if I buy a 2"PVC Coupling will that fit to the existing drain do I need some sort of sealant?

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 363

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The donut will not fit over the coupling. If the pipe is to short you will have to chip up the concrete and put the coupling below the floor. With the shower and strainer in place the pipe should end up about 1/4" below the top of the strainer.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What material is the riser pipe coming out of the slab made of? That will somewhat dictate what you have to do. It doesn't look like PVC. It could be lead or cast iron. If either of those, you'll have to crack some concrete to convert things. It may give you an opportunity to check the integrity of the trap, which may need to be replaced as well depending on what the material is and how deep it is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks