Rough-in hand held layout/height

Users who are viewing this thread

jkhome

Reaction score
Hey folks. I'm in the process of roughing in a custom shower for our new master bathroom. It's going to be a "his and/or hers shower, in that on one side, I'm using a Kohler thermo valve w/ 2 volume control valves, feeding a Grohe wall mount and 4 body sprays. On the other side of the shower, she wants her own Kohler thermo valve, w/ one volume control feeding a Grohe hand held on a bar. All parts are already bought, ready for install.

I have my side roughed in, using height/spacing measurements I got off the web: Thermo 40" off (finished) floor, volume controls 48" off floor and 8" apart. Wall outlet 78" off floor and body sprays 39" and 54" off floor, 16 " apart.

As an ex HVAC tech with years of piping experience, have to say that the above layout/piping job was no picnic, although it did turn out OK. "Hats off" to you plumbers out there who do this on a daily basis. :D

Anyway, the only info I am missing is the height and offsets needed for the hand held sprayer outlet and bar, info not in the Grohe literature I have. The thermo and volume control valves will be the same height as the other side.

How far over and at what height (from finished floor) should I offset the water outlet of the hand held, so that the hanging hose will not interfere with the two controls? And what’s the standard distance from the outlet to the bar?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Note you can get the hoses for the handheld in numerous lengths, so a standard location may not apply. You'd want to verify what length you have first, then it should be fairly quick and easy to just hold it up to see where it works best, then install the fittings.

jkhome

Reaction score
Hey Jim. The hose is around 68" long, part of a Relexa 28917 handshower set.

Guess I could guessimate, but was looking for the input from the guys who do it daily.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
handheld

There are NO GENERIC measurements. I often bring the outlet at about the same height as the control valve, but off to the side then the bar can mount between the control and the outlet with the loop hanging downward. One change I would have made is either run 3/4" all the way to the tee in the balancing loop, or put a tee in place of the elbow and connect to another 1/2" tee in the right hand riser of the loop.

jkhome

Reaction score
Thanks hj. That’s a good idea about running 3/4 to the loop, and something I can change fairly easily. I'll do a 3/4" tee with reducers on the top and bottom.

The above layout/pipe sizing was suggested to me by a Grohe phone tech rep. Instead reducing in the loop does make more sense. Edit: new pics show change.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks