Above Range Microwaves

Users who are viewing this thread

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
What height (or standard) should the outlet be for the above range microwave?

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Between 6' and 6'-8", but what matters most is the upper cabinet position. The receptacle should go in the mid-to-lower right corner inside the upper cabinet above the unit.

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
Thanks Speedy,

Any tips? I heard it is very cumbersome to install the microwave. I bought a recessed electrical box so when I plug it in the microwave doesn't have to sit awsay from the wall. Why does the box have to go in the cabinet? I thought they both will be seperate...thanks.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Thanks Speedy,

Any tips? I heard it is very cumbersome to install the microwave. I bought a recessed electrical box so when I plug it in the microwave doesn't have to sit awsay from the wall. Why does the box have to go in the cabinet? I thought they both will be seperate...thanks.

do you want to take down the microwave in order to unplug it?

The code requires the disconnect to be Readily Accessible and mounted behind the micro is not Readily Accessible

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
microwave

Where is the cord attached to the microwave? Usually on the top so it can go into the cabinet, rather than have to snake, or be coiled, behind it. And since most have a mounting plate that fastens to the wall, it would cover any outlet behind the microwave unit.

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
A mounting bracket covers the entire back of the microwave. There is no place to install a receptacle behind the unit. It goes in the cabinet above the unit.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The cord comes off the top. It passes through a hole drilled in the cabinet bottom plate, using the included template for location.

It is a little tedious to install the MW because of the weight. It is easier if it can be installed before the range goes in, but usally that doesn't happen. You have to muscle the MW with the front tipped down at a 45º angle, catch the hook at the bottom of the mounting bracket, then tip the MW up. Someone has to hold it in place while the bolts are installed down through the cabinet into the top of the MW.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Thanks Speedy,

What JW and HJ said.

There is NO easy physical way to do it the way you describe. These units are designed to have the cord pass through a hole in the bottom of the upper cabinet and get plugged in as I described.
To plug it in behind the unit you would be violating several safety codes, ignoring the installation instructions, and would have to hack the mounting plate.

I suggest reading the instructions carefully BEFORE beginning. They are usually very clear. They also come with a template for drilling the upper cabinet for the mounting holes and cord pass-thru hole.

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
That's why I come here - to get the correct information. I REALLY appreciate this information. Thanks guys!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks