(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Above Range Microwaves

Question Above Range Microwaves

What height (or standard) should the outlet be for the above range microwave?
    Brian

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Between 6' and 6'-8", but what matters most is the upper cabinet position. The receptacle should go in the mid-to-lower right corner inside the upper cabinet above the unit.
    Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.

Thanks Speedy,

Any tips? I heard it is very cumbersome to install the microwave. I bought a recessed electrical box so when I plug it in the microwave doesn't have to sit awsay from the wall. Why does the box have to go in the cabinet? I thought they both will be seperate...thanks.
    Brian

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bjferri View Post
    Thanks Speedy,

Any tips? I heard it is very cumbersome to install the microwave. I bought a recessed electrical box so when I plug it in the microwave doesn't have to sit awsay from the wall. Why does the box have to go in the cabinet? I thought they both will be seperate...thanks.

do you want to take down the microwave in order to unplug it?

The code requires the disconnect to be Readily Accessible and mounted behind the micro is not Readily Accessible

Default microwave

Where is the cord attached to the microwave? Usually on the top so it can go into the cabinet, rather than have to snake, or be coiled, behind it. And since most have a mounting plate that fastens to the wall, it would cover any outlet behind the microwave unit.

A mounting bracket covers the entire back of the microwave. There is no place to install a receptacle behind the unit. It goes in the cabinet above the unit.

The cord comes off the top. It passes through a hole drilled in the cabinet bottom plate, using the included template for location.

It is a little tedious to install the MW because of the weight. It is easier if it can be installed before the range goes in, but usally that doesn't happen. You have to muscle the MW with the front tipped down at a 45 angle, catch the hook at the bottom of the mounting bracket, then tip the MW up. Someone has to hold it in place while the bolts are installed down through the cabinet into the top of the MW.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bjferri View Post
    Thanks Speedy,

What JW and HJ said.

There is NO easy physical way to do it the way you describe. These units are designed to have the cord pass through a hole in the bottom of the upper cabinet and get plugged in as I described.
    To plug it in behind the unit you would be violating several safety codes, ignoring the installation instructions, and would have to hack the mounting plate.

I suggest reading the instructions carefully BEFORE beginning. They are usually very clear. They also come with a template for drilling the upper cabinet for the mounting holes and cord pass-thru hole.
    Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.

That's why I come here - to get the correct information. I REALLY appreciate this information. Thanks guys!
    Brian