shower drain in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

jhaug

Reaction score
I'm doing a bathroom remodel in my basement, in which a toilet and sink were already plumbed. I want to add a shower. What are your thoughts on the sanishower? Personally, I like the idea of not busting up concrete, but at the same time, the sanishower seems kind of hokey. Does anyone have any experience with sanishowers. Also, if I decide to bust up the concrete, I have the option of going to the 3in main stack, or to a 2in drain that services my washer and utility tub. Would one be better than the other? thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think you can legally go into the 2" washer drain, so go to the 3" main line. I don't think you'll like the step-up into that shower, and gravity is always better than a powered mechanical system. Break some concrete. Don't forget the vent. Check out www.johnbridge.com for tiling info and techniques to build a shower.

jhaug

Reaction score
basement shower venting

Thanks, I figured as much on the 3in stack, but thought I'd ask anyway. As far as venting the shower, the washer and utility sink are vented with 2in pipe, shouldn't I be able to tie into that vent, since I would still be far below the fixture unit number for a 2in vent pipe.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Yes, you can tie into an existing vent. The rule is it must connect at least 6" above the flood plane of the highest fixture served by that vent or 42", whichever is higher.

Karen317

Reaction score
We are thinking of doing the same thing (adding a shower in the basement). Is there a way to find out if there is something else vented higher up on the line ?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Often, you can stand by it while someone else goes through the house running water. You can often hear water running in the pipe if it is actually a drain. Depending on how open the basement is, follow that pipe to where it exits the house to the sewer, then compare where it goes up to the location of things above. If you don't see a separate drain line coming down to the sewer outlet, then it is probably not a vent. Note, a pipe can become a vent once it is above the flood plane, but once it is a drain, it generally can't be used as a vent in that portion; only if you attach new stuff where it becomes a vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks