(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Column Radiators and Baseboard radiators

Hybrid View

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Column Radiators and Baseboard radiators

Can you install both column radiators and baseboard radiators on the same zone? I was advised that this is not a good practice as the baseboard radiator will get to hot if the boiler is set up to heat the column radiators?

Any ideas or thoughts on this? I am trying to save as much money as I can and the column radiators are not cheap. The rooms that I was going to install the 2 baseboard radiators I was planning on down the road covering them and making them heated window benches.

My thought now is to buck up and purchase two tiny column radiators for these two window benches.

What about the heavy baseboard radiators sold through Burham - I'm sure then can be on the same zone.

Sorry for all the questions on this subject. Most plumbers I have spoke with don't have much experience with these systems and are pushing forced air systems or in floor heating on me.

I love the look of the old column radiators, love the sounds (groining and moaning pipes) and believe from what I have read and heard that it is the most comfortable heat for elderly people. Since I plan on dying in this house that is key for my wife and I.

Thanks for all the help!

Regards,

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Are you talking about copper fin baseboard or cast iron baseboard? You can put cast iron baseboard on the same zone as your column radiators, but not copper fin.

John

Blog Entries

Default Copper Fin baseboard was the plan

I had thought copper fin but this looks like a bad option.

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Previous member

What you are trying to do will work just fine. Go ahead and mix them.

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    What you are trying to do will work just fine. Go ahead and mix them.
    Can't agree with that one. It has been tried over and over again and it just doesn't work. If one room has copper fin and the other has radiators the room with the copper fin will heat up long before the one with radiators. Makes for a very unbalanced system. Then on the other end of the cycle when the thermostat is satisfied the copper fin cools down and the radiators continue to heat.

John
    Last edited by johnjh2o1; 01-09-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Combining the two on the same zone.

My plan was to have a 4' section of copper fin to start the room loop and from there over to a column radiator the rooms main heat source.

This 4 foot section is under the window and will have a window bench build over top of it. The thermostat for the room will be closer to the column radiator and should read the room temp not just the heat of the copper fins.

I'm not sure the price of the cast iron baseboards but have looked into it.