trane heat pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Sbilly

Reaction score
I have a 2004 model 2.5 ton trane heat pump split system. I am having problems with the unit icing up in cold weather and not defrosting. I had a company out and said it was a bad control board and sensor $850 to repair. It did not repair. The unit will only heat up to about 70 in the house and its about 35 outside now in NC. I never hear the reversing valve kick in and hear that whoosh sound. I can put it into AC mode and it will defrost no problem.
I call out another guy and says it is a bad compressor -. His explaination is that when he put the guages on both high and low side pressures were pegged out on the high side. He tried to open the valves manually and never shifted or pressure did not bleed down. He said the gas is just blowing through the compressor. He then jumped the pins on the board to shift the reversing valve and nothing happend. He said i would be better off replacing the whole condensor unit. I don't know what to do or who to believe. Should I call yet another person out to look at it?

thoughts?

billy@billyharrisfishing.com

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What do you have for back up heat? At 35 outside, you are approaching the outer limits of heat pump operation.

Sbilly

Reaction score
i have auxillery heat 10kw on the unit and emergancy heat on the unit 15 kw. The auxillery heat kicks in when a 2 degree differance is on the controller and I manually put it into emergancy heat if the aux. cant keep up. The unit will keep up during the day usually. Plus I went and got a electric heater just in case.

Do you think this guy might be right with the bad compressor?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks