Why does it state "Do not reduce pipe size"

Users who are viewing this thread

kozaz

Reaction score
I bought a house, it's on a share well. The well pumps water into a holding tank. Everybody has separate lines running from the holding tank to their homes.
At the home, I have a pressure tank and flowtec pump to pull water from the holding tank.

I want to replace both the pump and pressure tank. (Leaking and suspecting the bladder in the pressure tank is leaking)

Factory Advice for Pressure Tank and Pump Plumbing:

The pressure tank has 1 and quarter inch fitting.
The pump has a 1 and quarter inch inlet and a 1 inch outlet.

The manual states "These sizes should not be reduced".

Plumbing from storage tank to house:

The PVC pipe from the storage tank to the house runs about 150ft and is 1 inch. This line is then reduced to 3/4 inch copper pipe. This 3/4 inch copper is the home's core plumbing size (it's a manufacture home).

Current plumbing at the pressure tank and pump:

The current pressure tank and pump are located next to the house. At this location, there's a "from storage tank" line and a "to house" line both are 3/4 inch copper.

The current (old) system has the 3/4 inch copper line "from the storage tank" which is increased to 1 inch. Then the pump intake has the 1 and quarter inch reduced to 1 inch (Fitting).

The pressure tank has the 1 and quarter reduced to 1 inch (fittings), then 1 inch pipe to the 1 inch pump outlet fitting. Then runs as 1 inch pipe, which is further reduced to a 3/4 inch copper line "to the house".

The current system has ran with the above plumbing setup for at least 5 years with no issues. I also believe that the pressure tank is 7 years old according to the previous owner.

Questions:

Should I replace the plumbing between the pump and pressure tank with the recommended pipe size even though the "from storage tank" and "to house" copper lines are 3/4 inch?

Or

Can I run 3/4 inch plumbing between everything? What are the long term or short term problems I could encounter?

Sorry for so long, but I'm trying to cover everything in detail.
House has 2 baths, pressure tank is 50 gallons, pump is 3/4 hp, and only 2 people live in the home.

Thanks!
Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally, a two bath home uses 1" pipe at the beginning.

A run of 150 feet will have some friction loss. but the 1" line should be fine.
If your pipes are keeping up now, I would leave it.

Last edited:

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
I would pay attenton to what Terry said. However I would also suggest that if you are replacing the pump and the tank (if the tank is seven years old), consider installing a Pside-Kick www.cyclestopvalves.com with your new pump. This will give you a constant pressure while drawing a variable flow (like city water pressure). You're family will love it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks