How to remove a cast iron tub

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

You lift the back of the tub to rotate it onto its apron, sliding the tub back as you go if there is an obstruction. When it is on its side, your "rotate" it so one of the front corners goes into the space between the studs. Then you start swinging the opposite end out into the room pushing the one end further between the studs as you do so. Eventually, the one end will be in the room and you can do whatever you want to with the tub.

Last edited by a moderator:

FJK

Reaction score
hj
10/4 on that; you explained it perfectly.. I'll see how that works for me.

Thank you, FJK

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

Two advantages to taking the tub out intact, is that you now know the new one will fit, and you also know how to get it in there by just reversing the process.

tileman2000

In the Trades
Reaction score
Very true hj,but i'm just removing the tub...the plumber's installing the new one after i'm done with the demo.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

Still, if you CANNOT get the tub out of the recess, for whatever reason, (sometimes the tub was installed first and the capenters notched the studs to fit it, for example), the plumber will not be able to get the new one in either.

tileman2000

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK thanks for the info...very imformative.

I'll try your technique first hj..if that doesn't go smooth I'm busting out the sledge.

Thank again.

FJK

Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something, I don't think I can use hj's method of tub removal, by rolling it on its apron. Reason being, the apron is 14" tall, which would make it 14" wide when sitting on the apron. I don't have 14" of wall cavity to partially sneak the tub in to. However, now that I'm typing this, I'm thinking I only need to get an edge of the apron in.......hmmm?? Anyhow, on the drain side of the tube there is water pipes & a vent taking up real estate in the wall cavities. Also the tub spout (i.e. copper pipe) & the sweated in shower valve rough in is protruding into the tub area. This I could cut out & cap because I'm installing a new rough-in valve. Opposite the drain side of the tub, I have double & triple studs, also dimishing the space between studs to snake the tub apron.

Maybe I need to take a break while 1 of you guys sets me straight.

Later, FJK

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

You will not know if it works until you try it. You do NOT stick the WHOLE tub into the space between the studs, just the corner of the tub as you rotate it. All I can tell you is that I have removed EVERY tub I have ever had to, and have NEVER busted a tub to do it.

FJK

Reaction score
Well, got the tub out tonight in one piece. I couldn't roll the tub out on the apron as hj suggested, so I basically reversed Terry's installation procedure. I lifted up the end opposite the drain & started putting a 2X4 under the apron. Then I used another 2X4 as a lever until I had 4 2X4 stacked under the apron. Then I cheated & got my son & 1 of his friends and we lifted the end of the tub up until it was vertical with drain side down & walked it out of the alcove. After that, we kept the tub laid down on the apron & ulitmately slid it down a flight of carpeted stairs & loaded it into a pick up.

I didn't use hj's rollout method because I could not roll the tub by myself & I already had it jacked up on the 2X4's when my help arrived. Even if I had the help to try the roll out, I was so limited on room that we would have had to continually push the apron back toward the wall as the tub was being rolled. With only 5" of slide out space, I'm not sure that was doable.

The part I don't understand is why the old villager tube was installed with a ledger board, since it sits of 4 legs anyhow. My new villager cast iron tub that I installed in my other bath had instructions that eluded to there is no need for a ledger board. Oh, & check this out, my existing ledger board is a 2X6! I think that would also add more difficulty to the roll out method.

Thanks everyone for your help.
FJK

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

As I said, I have ALWAYS been able to roll the tubs out. The size of the ledger board has nothing to do with anything. The legs only work until the floor under them flexes and then the joint at the back edge will start to show cracking. Every Kohler tub I have installed always gives a dimension for the height of the ledger board.

FJK

Reaction score
Good explaination for the need of a ledger board hj. I did keep one in place for the first tub I installed & will continue to do so with the second one. Thanks.

Yes, I could be wrong with what I thought the Kohler instructions said. I will reread them.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
mateer-02.jpg

Yes, this old Kohler tub had a ledger board. The tub was in good shape until I took a hammer to it.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
happy new year plumbers....!

Now for my question.I'm going to be tearing out 3 walls and a tub next week.The tub is cast iron so what is the best way to remove it?The homeowner doesn't want me to break the tub apart so that should be interesting.Also,what has to be removed..the drain and overflow plates?How are those removed?Thanks for the patience..!
Smash it there will be clean up with the walls anyways

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks