Old Eljer Silette Toilet - How to remove the seat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cfipp

Reaction score
This toilet is about 30 years old and the seat has some unsightly stains, so we would like to replace it. I need help getting the seat off.

There are two bolts that attach the seat to the porcelain. The are domed, single-slot bolts that you use a flathead screwdriver to remove. One turns easily but the other is not budging. I sprayed some lubricant, waited for a week, but I still cannot move it.

I checked to see if there were nuts on the underside, where the bolts might come through, but could not find the other side of the bolts anywhere. I checked under the bowl on the outside of toilet, under the inside rim of the bowl, and through the inside of the tank on the back. From what I can see, those bolts do not come out anywhere - they only go into the porcelain.

Any thoughts? The left bolt turns easily. The right bolt is still tight. The bolt takes a flat head screwdriver and I don't want to strip it. I am willing to live with the stained seat if it means drilling out the old bolt. Here are some photos. Thanks for your advice!

eljer-stillete-2.jpg

eljer-stillete-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks