(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: packaged heat cool unit costs?

Hybrid View

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Default packaged heat cool unit costs?

I am offered a new 3 ton/90m BTU packaged hvac unit for 800$ Mfg warranty included.

That seems to be 1/3 less than market. What do you guys in the trade pay wholesale for something in that range?

13 seer, 80% effic. bottom or side ducting.

Deal or no deal?

You are right that it is at least 2/3 below wholesale, it is likely below dealers cost, and may be less than what it cost the factory to produce it. So , you have got to ask yourself the Clint Eastwood million dollar question: "Do ya feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya??"""

I would want a good explanation why. Is it stolen? Did some contractor end up with it and just can't deal with keeping it around, and wants to get a few bucks out of it?

Pkge units are commonly stolen from distributor lots since they are stored outside. When a unit like that gets stolen the serial # is sometimes reported to the manufacture that voids any warranty in the system. In addition should a local claim be made you may have the police knocking asking you about receiving stolen merchandise.

I could be wrong but the old saying goes " if it's sounds to good to be true......."

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

My thoughts also - that's what it seems like- stolen or broken. But its from a major dealer closing out 2 discontinued units. Meets Ca. NOX requirements. They will take it back if DOA. Made by York.

Is York decent quality and planning to stay in Business?

I think this is just one of those results of the depression we are in. Not many rooftops being built for a place to put these. [?]

So wholesale would be about 2300$ ?

Yes, I think a York in that size would be around that number. possibly a little less. Distributor selling price. Price to end usercustomer of course marked up.