• flux or compression fitting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • why would 2 1/2 year old pipe rot?

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

kristi55

Reaction score
What would cause a broken water pipe? It is 2 1/2 years old. It is completely erroded at the connection...1/2 of the pipe. The plumber said they used compression fittings, it looks like flux ate it away. The ph balance of the city water is fine, the velocity is fine. If it is electrolosis, wouldn't the plumber know what pipes are compatiable? I am taking the builder, plumber and developer to small claims. The builder and developer are giants in the southern WI area.....I bought my house breand new....don't expect any of the old house issues to arise, yet alone a broken, erroded water pipe after 2 1/2 years! My warranty expired 5 months prior to the pipe breaking.....figures! Not to mention my terrace is all dug up, the bill was $1865!!!! I have the pipe, that is my best defense to show the judge. Theoretically, the pipe should last the lifetime of the house.....not only 2 1/2 years....any suggestions on presenting my case????

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

If they used compression fittings, there was no flux or electrolysis. They might not have made a tight connection, or it may have deflected and started leaking, either of which can happen with compression fittings which is why few "professional" plumbers will use them, especially underground or in a wall. That leak, if there was one, in combination with the soil composition could "erode" the tubing.

kristi55

Reaction score
water lateral break

thanks for the note! So the compression fitting, the big nut type thing would not create electrolysis? The pipe as I said is about 2 1/2 years old and looks like it is 50 at the connection.....metal is completely erroded over 1/2 of it, pieces are missing. This was the main connection to the city water pipe shut off valve. So compression fittings should not be used there? Any other help would be appreciated!
Kristi

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

What kind of compression coupling was it? When you say "big nut" was it a compression coupling with rubber washers in it? If so, was it brass or steel? In any case, neither one would cause electrolysis failure of the pipe. If anything electrolysis would have attacked steel coupling.

kristi55

Reaction score
lateral water pipe

there aren't any rubber washers in the "big nut" compression fitting. I just have the nut and the copper pipe piece the plumber cut off. I am not sure if the nut is steel, maybe. It is at home and so I am not sure. The copper pipe where it would connect to the city shut off valve, is where the pipe "rotted" and erroded away in pieces. My frustration is this shouldn't have happened so early. 2 1/2 years old. Could it be possible the plumber also used flux to explain the eating away of the pipe only on 1/2 of it....the bottom 1/2 of the pipe.......???????

kristi55

Reaction score
No, maybe it won't last a lifetime, but it should last longer than 2 1/2 years!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

IF there are no rubber washers then the compression fitting should be copper. There is no reason why the plumber would use flux on it, especially on just one side, unless he soldered the connection, which you say he did not do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks