(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Water heater on uninsulated slab

  1. #1
    DIY Member Lightwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    98

    Default Water heater on uninsulated slab

    What are the energy use implications of installing an electric water heater on an uninsulated slab on grade basement floor?

    Is it worth building an insulated platform to keep the tank off the floor or are typical water heaters insulated well enough for conduction losses through the floor to be a non-issue?

  2. #2
    Master Plumber Redwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    There is very little heat loss through the bottom or, anywhere else for that matter on a new foam insulated electric water heater.

    Although some here would propose that you spend 50 bucks to save a nickel.

    Look out here they come!

  3. #3
    DIY Member Lightwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    98

    Default

    It's a 12 year old John Wood tank. Dunno if that counts as 'new' or not.

  4. #4
    Master Plumber Redwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Leave well enough alone and don't touch a thing.
    You'll probably replace it soon enough.

  5. #5
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,653

    Default heater

    Any money you spend doing it will be wasted. And do NOT do it with an "old" heater which yours is.

  6. #6
    Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Posts
    4,243
    Blog Entries
    1

    Talking john wood???

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave View Post
    It's a 12 year old John Wood tank. Dunno if that counts as 'new' or not.
    John Wood??? never heard of that brand.....

    where did it come from anyway

    ace hardware??

  7. #7
    Master Plumber Redwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by master plumber mark View Post
    John Wood??? never heard of that brand.....

    where did it come from anyway

    ace hardware??
    I've seen a few around here Mark, a couple of places sell them.
    Real popular brand in Canada where the OP is located.

  8. #8
    DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    892

    Default

    There was a recent discussion of this topic. Contrary to Redwood's assertions (he's not shown any aptitude at econ or heat loss calcs), there has been no call to use them here, but according to Terry and others they are required by code in some areas. http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...r-water-heater

    As to how long your tank will last, depends on the water, usage, and unknown factors in the production of the tank itself. Beware the BW shilling...for some the answer to every question seems to be to replace it with a BW water heater regardless of age or expense.

  9. #9
    Nuclear Engineer nukeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    696

    Default

    I would insulate the pipes, if they are not already, and call it a day. Conduction losses through the bottom of the tank would be way down on the list. When you do replace the tank, that would be an easier time to do the platform if you still wanted to do it at that time.

  10. #10
    Master Plumber Redwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Runs with bison View Post
    There was a recent discussion of this topic. Contrary to Redwood's assertions (he's not shown any aptitude at econ or heat loss calcs), there has been no call to use them here, but according to Terry and others they are required by code in some areas. http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...r-water-heater

    As to how long your tank will last, depends on the water, usage, and unknown factors in the production of the tank itself. Beware the BW shilling...for some the answer to every question seems to be to replace it with a BW water heater regardless of age or expense.
    So I take it your advice would be go ahead disconnect a 12 year old water heater lift it up and insulate then reconnect...
    Keep on giving the bad advice and I'll have to put your famous quotes in my signature.
    You are getting to be just a little too much of a Bozo...
    Try sticking to what you know as little as that may be...

    Nuke Man's advice on insulating the pipes is always good advice.

  11. #11
    DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    So I take it your advice would be go ahead disconnect a 12 year old water heater lift it up and insulate then reconnect...
    Keep on giving the bad advice and I'll have to put your famous quotes in my signature.
    You are getting to be just a little too much of a Bozo...
    Try sticking to what you know as little as that may be...

    Nuke Man's advice on insulating the pipes is always good advice.
    That was an idiotic post even for you. Once again you demonstrate a lack of basic reading comprehension. I said in the referenced thread that I saw no point to the insulation pad for electric. Your beef is with Terry I guess since he pointed out that they do reduce corrosion of the base next to the ground.

    Unlike you, I (and other engineers) can actually do the calcs to determine whether or not something make sense. Beats winging it with poor information as you are prone to do.

    Try sticking to what you know--which apparently ain't much. Right now it doesn't appear you could reason your way out of a paper bag.

  12. #12
    DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    There is very little heat loss through the bottom or, anywhere else for that matter on a new foam insulated electric water heater.
    Gee, that would be what I've said...


    Although some here would propose that you spend 50 bucks to save a nickel.

    Look out here they come!
    And that would be what you typically propose: replace a working water heater with a new one to fix a problem you've misdiagnosed. Spending ~$800 for what is most often a free repair is an even worse return than spending "50 bucks to save a nickel." With pipe insulation and insulating blankets on the typical R8 gas water heater the return is pretty good, about 50% annually on the jacket. (Loved how you completely misread that BW liability boilerplate, but as I've been pointing out: reading comprehension/judgement is not your strong suit.)

    Nice try on the strawman, but as usual you have it bass ackwards.

  13. #13
    Master Plumber Redwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Bison maybe this link will help...

    If you can read the post maybe you would comprehend what was said...



    PFFFFSSSSST

    Last edited by Redwood; 01-19-2010 at 05:38 PM.

  14. #14
    DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post

    PFFFFSSSSST

    Now Redwood is fogging himself, rather than flogging himself.

  15. #15
    DIY Member Lightwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Thanks everybody for all the input.

    I'm not going to lift the current tank but when I redo the room and replace the tank, the new tank will be on an insulated floor rather than on the bare slab.

    The near tank piping is already insulated.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •