Question about CPVC reliability

Users who are viewing this thread

Otis

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Brand new here. I've roughed in some plumbing for my bathroom remodel and I decided to use the CPVC dogears at the fixture locations. These are the ones sold by Lowes & HD that have a brass threaded insert for the stub out, but CPVC on the remaining portion of the fitting...including the plastic mounting ears. One person told me that the plastic ears were prone to break, while another guy told me he's used them many times with no problem. This plumbing will be run through the interior walls. I chose CPVC for that reason. I feel better about using glued joints behind the drywall. I'd welcome any warnings or assurances about this strategy. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Michael

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
CPVC is very common down here.

What we are starting to see is the hot water lines are getting brittle, to the point when making repairs on hot water lines we can not use cutters as the pipe shatters. Down here there using it under slabs. According to the leak detection company's they are also starting to see failures in hot water lines. I think PEX is the better choice.

John

dargo

Reaction score
I also live down south and all the homes in Texas (near houston) have been using PVC (not CPVC) for cold water lines for 15+ years. Copper is not used much, only on hot.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
What we are starting to see is the hot water lines are getting brittle, to the point when making repairs on hot water lines we can not use cutters as the pipe shatters. Down here there using it under slabs. According to the leak detection company's they are also starting to see failures in hot water lines. I think PEX is the better choice.

John

I really can't stand underslab lines....
How old are the brittle ones?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I really can't stand underslab lines....
How old are the brittle ones?

I haven't seen any under slab CPVC leaks myself, I'm going by what the leak detection companies are saying. What I have seen is is hot water lines 4yrs old getting very brittle. The worst was a recirculating line. It was a extreme case because it was recirculating 24-7.

John

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
My house is over 10 years old now and no problems so far. Cape Coral banned copper (I don't know if it's still the case) in residential due to leaks. 10-15 years was normal for copper and then you were on borrowed time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
At one time they did not recommend CPVC for hot water systems with a circulation system. The constant hot water was detrimental to it. If you intended to use CPVC, they recommended capping off the circulation line.

dargo

Reaction score
PVC isn't allowed for indoor use.

Only CPVC
Could very well be in your area but not in well-known cities in Texas. Not starting anything but I know what I see when I go in my attic to look at the furance(s), water tank etc.

when I had the inspection I asked the inspector and this was the norm..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks