Roof Vent Stack Boot Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Edwardh1

Reaction score
My adult son has a 8 year old home and the pvc vent pipe penetrations in the roof leak around the pipe where it goes through the boot.

Is there a cure for this (like sliding another boot over the present one or is it normal to replace the whole roof "jack"- which is a lot more work for an only 8 year old house.
house is 2 story on a high foundation so he can not do it himself, but wants to know what the usual repair method is.
thanks.
Asphalt shingle, upstate South Carolina area

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I assume you are talking about the "roof flashing" aroung the pipe.

If so, the right repair is to replace it.

To quick fix it, silicone around where the leak is coming from , on the roof side

Daltex

Reaction score
It is common for roofers to replace the roof jack however; a new rubber gasket is almost always all that is needed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
jack

What kind is it? Here the roof jacks are a simple cone on a square piece of metal. The pipe slides through it and then roofing cement is applied around it.

Themp

Reaction score
Oatey Roof Flashing

I just use this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=200311-138-11940&lpage=none

and pop it over the bad one. Sometimes I cut it down so it has a smaller lip all around. I have been doing this for 24 years on my house and it has never leaked. I check them spring and fall. I have eight of these on the back side of the house as the plumber was just into running them to the roof instead of tieing them together. I also have the old galvanized metal ones and they have rusted at this point in time.

My son has a vent so high on his roof and at such a steep angle, we are able to just barely with a very long ladder reach up and pop one over the old one when his started leaking.

Now maybe a hurricane or tornado could rip this off, but normal winds/storms seem to cause no problem.

Attachments

• roof_flashing.jpg
    roof_flashing.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 9,163
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks