A good plumber in L.A.

Users who are viewing this thread

H.A.

Reaction score
Hello plumbing friends,

My house was built in 1941, and it's definitely time for a repipe. Redish crud comes out of the bathtub faucet, the tap water tastes metally and water pressure has been getting gradually lower in the two years I 've owned the house.

In addition, when the washing machine hits the rinse cycle, the drain water comes out of the bathtub and utility sink drain. I had Roto-Roote clear the drain last time this happened, but that lasted less than a year. There's roots growing into the sewer pipe.

All of this leads me to believe that I need a relationship with a good plumber who will do quality work and not rip me off. For an 850 sq.ft. house with one bath, shower, washer, dishwasher, three sinks and two outside hoses, what am I looking to pay for a repipe? Also, to upgrade about 30 feet of old clay drain pipe from the house to the city sewer, what's to be expected?

Thanks

H.A.

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
A Good Plumber

A good plumber would best estimate the cost of your job after seeing the conditions, each job is different. Ask your neighbors, family & friends who they use and get a couple/few written estimates. A plumbing supply house in your area may be able to recommend a reputable plumbing shop. Make sure that whoever you decide to hire is licensed and fully insured. The lowest price isn't always the best price.
The cost will most likely be in the thousands for the work you (may) need so it's wise to shop around.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There must be 2 dozen companies in LA who do nothing but repipes. Get some local references. Someone in your neighborhood must have had this done. Listen to KFI AM640? I think at least 2 companies advertise there.

Frankly, companies who specialize in repipe are probably able to give you a better price because they do specialize, and have all necassary trades in house (drywall, paint, etc.) As long as you find a company with a good reputation, you should get a top-notch job.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
$40,000.

Just curious. You house sounds like it would sell for around $40,000. in Kansas. What is it worth in L.A.? $100,000.?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Are you sitting down

Let me break this to you gently: I live in San Diego in a 1 BR 600 sqft condo. The market price today is $263,000 .

H.A.

Reaction score
Lonny,

I'm just going to give you the cold, hard truth about real estate prices in L.A. That house was just refinanced two months ago, and in the process it was appraised at 540K. Two years ago, it was worth less than 400 Grand. This is an 850 sq ft house on a 6000 sq ft lot - 300 feet from the I-10 freeway! For a comparable house further away from the freeway in this neighborhood, try 640K.

I wish you were right about the price, because if I had paid a 100K for that house, I'd have plenty of cash left over to play with. Perhaps I could get a ranch over there in Kansas...but I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
A good plumber in LA

HA
You might try The Greater LA PHCC @http://www.phccglaa.org. They can steer you to a licensed and insured professional. BTW: Up here on the SF Peninsula they buy houses like yours for upwards of $1000K and send in the wrecking crew. What shocks me is not that someone would pay that much, but that people actually line up for the privilege to do so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks