shower ceiling question

Users who are viewing this thread

Idoc4u

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is not the correct forum for the following question:

I intend to install a drop ceiling in my finished basement.

Can I install a drop ceiling above a shower stall? Would I need to drywall the ceiling or green boad the ceiling in the bathroom or over the shower area? Is there such an animal as a drop ceiling material that is resistant to mold, mildew, etc?

Thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of those panels are sort of like a sponge, and the high humidity could mess them up. Some fiberglass panels have a plastic layer towards the room, which might be better. So, I guess it depends on what you put there. I think the grid system is usually steel, and high humidity might ruin the finish on that as it starts to rust.

I'd consider just doing that room in drywall and use a good primer and paint. Greenboard on a ceiling doesn't buy you much, and you should support it at 12" spacing verses 16" possible with drywall or you might notice it sagging between supports after awhile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks