Reverse Osmosis Filter Stops Making Water

Users who are viewing this thread

Shinshi

Reaction score
I have a RO system that stops producing water periodically. If I turn off the supply water for 20 minutes or so and then switch back on it clears itself and starts producing again.

I changed all the filters, including the membrane, same problem. It gets worse in the cold winter weather, so I have routed the incoming supply water through copper tubing in a warm part of the basement to increase water temperature, but it still stops. I have an Aquatec permeate pump installed for added efficiency. I monitored incoming water pressure which fluctuates from 40-80 PSI (city water pressure). I also have a TDS monitor installed. I do have a water softener and the water supply had been sourced from the line after the softener.

Installation issues that may affect this RO unit are:

- Installed in basement with a run of about 30-40 feet to faucet.
- Used 1/2" PEX line from basement RO tank to faucet.
- Drain line goes up from filter about 4 feet and then over and down to a drain.
- Water pressure fluctuating.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem?

Last edited:

Shinshi

Reaction score
Does anybody have any idea at all?

I have tried everything I can think of and this problem just doesn't make sense.

Skip Wolverton

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.servicemagic.com
If I am not mistaking, you must remove the auto shut off in order for the permeate pump to function. If this has already been done, I think the pump is causing the problem. It's sticking not allowing the unit to turn back on after the tank is full and drained again. If you still have the auto shut off attached, then that is the problem.

Shinshi

Reaction score
To clarify, I had this problem prior to installing the Permeate Pump. I installed the pump thinking it might correct the issue. I also replaced the Auto Shutoff Valve to no avail.

I have not removed the Auto Shutoff Valve completely from the system as it is not recommended to do so when using the water system for 1 cup at a time according to the following website.

http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/permeate-pump-installation.asp

I do have it plumbed as shown in this picture and I have double checked the installation. However, as this problem occurred before and after the pump was installed I don't see this being the issue.

permea1.gif

Cass, when you ask if any installed backwards, do you mean are any of the filters installed in the housing backwards? I have checked the plumbing and it appears to be correctly plumbed.

I will double check the filter unit plumbing again when I get home tonight and post a picture of the setup.

Skip Wolverton

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.servicemagic.com
It has been about 11 years since I have installed a permeate pump on a RO. I was instructed to remove the auto shut off. The pump acts the same as the shut off in that it uses hydraulics to function. Once the pressure on the permeate side is greater than the drain, the piston stops the drain water. Once water is used, the pumps turns on and allows water to flow to the drain again.
Just found this. It clearly states to remove the auto shut off.
http://www.pwgazette.com/installpermeate.htm

Last edited:

Shinshi

Reaction score
I will remove the auto shutoff valve and see if it makes a difference. I did have this problem prior to installing the Permeate pump, but I am willing to try anything because I have tried everything else I can possibly think of short of replacing the whole RO system with a new one.

Any chance the fact that I took the output from the RO and plumbed it upstairs using 1/2" pex line is a problem? I was trying to determine if with the increase in water capacity it would create more hydraulic head pressure which could cause this to problem.

Skip Wolverton

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.servicemagic.com
Any chance the fact that I took the output from the RO and plumbed it upstairs using 1/2" pex line is a problem? I was trying to determine if with the increase in water capacity it would create more hydraulic head pressure which could cause this to problem.
That shouldn't cause the problem. It could be that the auto shout off was bad to begin with. Let me know how it goes.

Shinshi

Reaction score
Yes, I will get back as to whether removing the auto shutoff valve completely cures the problem. It may be a while though, as it can work for weeks just fine and then act up.

For the record, the auto shutoff valve was the first thing I replaced when this problem started. It happened the first winter after I installed the unit and seems to happen much more often in cold weather.

Tony Lyne

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I am considering a similar installation in my home. I have a 30-40 foot 1/2" PEX line running from my basement manifold to my refridgerators (kitchen and garage). I don't need many GPD and I'm considering this under the sink system:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I0ZGOZM/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I15PUDDGODTGXO&colid=AJ4T78QPP6W0&psc=0

I want to mount the RO system in my basement near the water manifold and HVAC system drain. I may build a shelf to mount above my water softner system. Before doing all this I'd like to know if Shinshi or anyone else got a setup like this working sufficiently and without issues?

Flagpole

Reaction score
Tony,
I just bought this same system. Great so far. It took my water from 176ppm to about 1! Then I added a permeate pump and removed the shut off to make it more efficient and it went up to 27. Even higher if it sits and I take a glass. I just added the shutoff back in to see if it makes a difference.
It is a great system and great price.
BTW - I wonder if Shinshi may have installed the permiate pump with the outputs not on top and has got some air in the system.
Joe

I know this is an old thread but I am considering a similar installation in my home. I have a 30-40 foot 1/2" PEX line running from my basement manifold to my refridgerators (kitchen and garage). I don't need many GPD and I'm considering this under the sink system:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I0ZGOZM/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I15PUDDGODTGXO&colid=AJ4T78QPP6W0&psc=0

I want to mount the RO system in my basement near the water manifold and HVAC system drain. I may build a shelf to mount above my water softner system. Before doing all this I'd like to know if Shinshi or anyone else got a setup like this working sufficiently and without issues?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks