Bathroom Sink Positioning

Users who are viewing this thread

BlackNoir

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Not sure this is the best place to ask this but thought I'd try. I'm trying to figure out spacing for a sink so I can build a custom cabinet and I'm not sure what the standard position is for everything. How far away from the backsplash should the faucet be, and then how far from the faucet should the sink be? Or should I be more concerned with the distance from the front of the counter to the sink?

Thanks,
Shay

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Kit. or bathroom sink? Are the faucets going on the sink or counter top?
Kitchen tops are 25" bathroom tops are 22".

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you're building custom...it really doesn't matter. ADA requirements, if you want to use them, call for the front edge of the sink to be (I think) no more than 2" from the front edge of the counter. Depending on the type of counter, that may be kind of thin if you are going to say a solid stone with an undermount (you could have that area reinforced with a steel bar from underneath, though).

The height of the counter is also up to you. Depends on how much you care about resale verses your personal comfort while there. It also matters if it will be mixed use, or all adults (say as part of the master suite), and if you are 5' or 6' 6" tall. There is a minimum distance behind the sink required to clear the sink rim (if undermount) and the backsplash to account for the drain pullup, but that depends on the brand you choose.

BlackNoir

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Hmmm.. only 2" eh? I saw a picture of a cabinet on a remodel show where they had an opening right under the counter where the put a rolled up towel. It looked really nice but I'm not sure how they were able to squeeze it in there. I was originally thinking it was a small box but maybe it's open and the back is the actual sink which you can't see with the towel stuffed in there..

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The 2" is only true if you want to abide by the ADA requirements, if not, put it anywhere you want! I like to have some room in front of the sink on the counter. Someone in a wheelchair may not be able to reach over a big gap to wash their hands...an able bodied person isn't as restricted. You don't want it too far back, or it's hard to reach the faucet handles or say lean over and wash your hands.

Personally (I'm tall) I raised my (new) stock cabinets in the kitchen about 4" rather than paying for custom ones. I used a large baseboard to hide the platform. The 'stock' bathroom cabinets tend to be 29 or 32" tall, but that's low, too. Some people are using kitchen sink bases in the bathroom (36" with typical counter). Make a mockup, cardboard would work, and see where both you and your wife (assuming you have one!) like it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks