Knocking noise at water meter when washing machine is filling

Users who are viewing this thread

VTXdude

Reaction score
My water meter is in the garage...when I turn a faucet on the little dial spins and little if no noise...when the washing machine is filling it make s knocking noise that you can hear in each bathroom etc...

I recently fastened down the copper that went from the water heater to the washing machine as when the washing machine would fill the pipe would visibly shudder........looks like the pipe from water heater is 1/2 inch and where it "T's" with the main water supply it goes down to 1/4 inch to washing machine...any idea why they would have done this?

IMG_1765.jpg

Pipe from washer back is also on a downward slope as plumber who replaces water heater "pulled" copper pipe down to fit rather put new piece in :mad:

Does not make noise with other faucets on but does click a little louder when tub is on...I guess the bigger the output (tub washing machine) The louder the clicking?

Is this an issue?

Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know what is causing the knocking, but you'd better acquaint yourself with pipe sizes. I think it's most likely that you have 3/4" pipe that is then reduced to 1/2". Even if 1/4" was made in ridged pipe, that would be far too small for a washing machine. !/4" soft copper is often used for ice maker supply lines. One thing you might check is the washer shut off valves. Make sure they are turn completely on. I'm sure some of the pros will give you some better answers, but it may be tomorrow before some of them are online.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
I don't know what that picture has to do with the wash machine, show a picture of the wash machine connections. :confused:

VTXdude

Reaction score
Sorry, you are right about pipe sizes...I'm learning as I go Gary :eek:

Her is a pic of the connections...yes I know...not pretty at all...be oblivious for 8 years and now all of a sudden everything is catching up to me I think.....

IMG_1766.jpg

Why the reduction in pipe size?

What other info can I provide?

Thanks

VTXdude

Reaction score
where is the noise coming from? is it the meter or the copper pipes in the wall?

It sounds like it is coming from the meter...it spins really fast when the washing machine is filling...I'll have to listen more closely I guess...hard to do though as sound is transmitted through the pipes........let's just say if you are in the first or second floor bathroom you can hear if the washing machine is asking for water..not so if faucet..toilets a little bit louder ...tub a bit louder but not like washing machine

Good to know why reduction in size..thanks! I'll have to look at hot water one...don't remember that one being reduced but probably is

Hmmm no not sure if meter or pipes..my guess is pipes but that is just a guess...when you say pipes in wall do you mean at washing machine or one near meter?

VTXdude

Reaction score
If trash in meter does it make any sense louder with washing machine? It is the closest to the meter...pretty silent with faucets??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks