(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video of my burner flame in Kenmore Power Miser 9

Guys does position of baffle make any difference?

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o1 View Post
    Next time you replace a heater remove the copper gas line tap it on the floor and see if you get the same blue colored flakes out of it that we do. I also would like to know if it is just in are area.

John
    I have never noticed any flaking but then again I have never really looked for it.

But next time I will check for it to see what I find.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking have a drip leg installed

when you get the heater installed, have a
    drip leg installed on the inlet of the gas valve on the
    new heater...

this tee with a nipple and cap on the end should
    catch all the crap that ever goes through that line..

it dont cost anything to do and its code in many
    areas of the country....and a good practice.

Yep will do Mark...noticed my gas line for furnace has one but not dryer....stainless steel connection.......flexible...fwiw the copper line is very thin and it does have the drip leg wonder if it being smaller diameter than the iron pipe changes gas pressure? If it is a gas pressure issue is anything plumber can do to fix it?

Ok spoke to plumber tonight..tomorrow is the big swap out lol He will come by in morning to size job up and then got to FW Webb to get heater...Kenmore will go into my garage until I can convince Sears to come pick it up...good luck huh?

Well I intend to really fight them to take it back, 2 bad heaters as far as I'm concerned.....2 very shoddy installation attempts and the second plumber could have killed us due to his unique venting with foil tape...I could run into an issue because I gave up on them but was not gonna have Sears try for a third time and waste more of my time...never again...an independent plumber from here on out for sure

Hope I am making the right move!

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vtxdude View Post
    Yep will do Mark...noticed my gas line for furnace has one but not dryer....stainless steel connection.......flexible...fwiw the copper line is very thin and it does have the drip leg wonder if it being smaller diameter than the iron pipe changes gas pressure? If it is a gas pressure issue is anything plumber can do to fix it?+
    Copper gas lines are smaller then natural gas lines because they have smoother surfaces and there for less friction loss across a given length at the same flow rates.

I don't know how it works down there but up here in Canada you need to be a ticketed gas fitter. And a gas ticket is separate from a plumbing ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Doherty Plumbing View Post
    Copper gas lines are smaller then natural gas lines because they have smoother surfaces and there for less friction loss across a given length at the same flow rates.

I don't know how it works down there but up here in Canada you need to be a ticketed gas fitter. And a gas ticket is separate from a plumbing ticket.
    He is a licensed gas fitter as well.....he just came and looked things over...will put in black pipe..asked if I wanted stainless flexible an I opted for the black pipe...hope that is right choice....

He is off to FW Webb to get the Bradford White with the ICON System

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o1 View Post
    Next time you replace a heater remove the copper gas line tap it on the floor and see if you get the same blue colored flakes out of it that we do. I also would like to know if it is just in are area.

John

Got a TON of those flakes and looks like there were some when disconnected at the gas valve as well!

You were not kidding