(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with a water (ph?) filter...

So it looks like you have a Ph filter or a netralizing filter.. and that it might be low on the calcite that it is using.

Iron in the water with PH correction.. fun. One thing that will happen is that the iron will oxidize and fall out of the water. Now if there is not enough cleaning or a low media bed that will let some of that iron(oxidized) through the media.

You might be able to take a very strong flash light and back light the media tank to see where the level of media is at.

I use straight calcite with nothing else, others will use a mix of calcite and magnesium oxide.
    I have found that if the mix is not correct it will harden with in the tank.. So that is why I use the straight calcite.. no harding of media with in the tank, it takes more to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    I would have collected the 'after' sample first... lol
    There are times that I start there, then like the other day I started with the raw water because it was the first time that I was at a customers house in 9 years and he had a different well from the well that I put the system in on.

The second well was much better than the first one.. Down to 1.0ppm Fe and down to 5 grains from 10grains.. Ph was better up to 7.2 from 6.8

Then there is the some thing is not right with the system, that gets tested right off to see what the unit is doing in the way of treating the water.. and a test of the raw to see if there where any changes.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsolution View Post
    Ummmmm...why don't you just rebed the filter. Screw the testing.The reason why you are getting the staining is because the calcite has dissolved. Obviously it is sized correctly or you would have had staining from day one. So do a re bed and forget about it for one year and then add calcite. The real question is, where is the water softener. A neutralizer will make your water hard...
    I don't even know what that means "rebed the filter"

Quote Originally Posted by abacuslearns View Post
    I don't even know what that means "rebed the filter"
    Re-bedding the unit means

Take the tank, empty it of all that is there in to what ever you have handy, put put the distributor back in, put pea gravel in(about 15LBS) and then add the calcite in till there is about a 17" space from top of calcite to top of tank.

That works when the media needs to be replaced and one Knows what media to use.

Testing before and after or after and before is a good way of finding out what kind of media there might be in the unit.

If the untreated pH is really 2 --or anything less than 6-- it will probably be necessary to use a mix of calcite and corosex for media rather than straight calcite.

Previous member

Agree's with Bob

That is the twist, Bob and Peter are correct.

I do what I am doing based on 20 years Here where I live. I have no clue as to what mix would be right for there.

Trouble shooting is one thing, understanding an areas water is another.