Place copper connection underground or in shower curb?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ichthys

Reaction score
Hi All.
I'm changing my tub into a shower with the entrance to the shower where the tub controls used to be. That wall had a bunch of "stub-ups" (??) that need to be moved. I can either make new connections underground or lower all that stuff so that they hug the concrete subfloor an can be hudden in the shower curb. Which would be best? Is placing pipes in the curb legal? I'd rather not have the connections underground of it could be helped.
Thanks for all help and criticism.
Lars

Attachments

• IMG_3328.JPG
    IMG_3328.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 787

Ichthys

Reaction score
Or option #3:
Chip the concrete up more around the pipes and GENTLY push them down so they'll sit below the slab. Then I only need to mess with 2 joints, but the fear of kinking or splitting the 30 year old copper gives me pause.
Thanks,
Lars

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Under the slab or in the shower curb, if you have a problem with the joints you will be destroying the shower in either case. I would put them under the slab. If the joints are done properly there should be no problem. The toughest part of the job will be getting the copper perfectly clean. I see you live in Florida,it is done here all the time.

John

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joints

ANY joints under a concrete floor can be a problem. Doing the proper joints in them is time consuming, AND it anneals the fittings which softens them and takes all their strength away. Make the connections in the curb.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
curb

YOU do not have the experience or materials to make the required connections under the floor, even if it were a good idea. The only time it is a "good idea" is when there is absolutely no other way to do it so it is the ONLY idea, and even then it can lead to failing pipe years later, especially the hot water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks