Please help! Sediment clogging pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

mward77095

Reaction score
Hello, thank you in advance for your assistance with this...

I live in a 5600 square foot house that we built about 1.5 years ago. We are on a water well. We had a problem with the well and ended up getting a lot of sediment, rocks, sand, etc. brought in with the main water supply. The problem with the well has been fixed and I have clean water coming into the house now. However, I can't seem to get all of the sediment out of the pipes in the house. All of my water fixtures and appliances are getting clogged at the screens / filters. I have cleaned them out several times and have tried flushing the plumbing lines by running the water out of several fixtures for several hours but can't seem to get rid of it. The master shower is the worst... probably because it gets used the most. I have to clean the sediment out of the fixtures at least once a week and have to clean out the valves about once a month. By the way, I am using a tankless water heater.

Please help... is there a way to back wash the system or apply additional pressure for flushing, or something???

Mark

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hello, thank you in advance for your assistance with this...

I live in a 5600 square foot house that we built about 1.5 years ago. We are on a water well. We had a problem with the well and ended up getting a lot of sediment, rocks, sand, etc. brought in with the main water supply. The problem with the well has been fixed and I have clean water coming into the house now. However, I can't seem to get all of the sediment out of the pipes in the house. All of my water fixtures and appliances are getting clogged at the screens / filters. I have cleaned them out several times and have tried flushing the plumbing lines by running the water out of several fixtures for several hours but can't seem to get rid of it. The master shower is the worst... probably because it gets used the most. I have to clean the sediment out of the fixtures at least once a week and have to clean out the valves about once a month. By the way, I am using a tankless water heater.

Please help... is there a way to back wash the system or apply additional pressure for flushing, or something???

Mark

This is going to be VERY time consuming but this is what I would do:

1. Install a filter/screen on the incoming water to filter out the bigger stuff. Put isolation valves around it so you can easily clean and maintain it.

2. Install hose bibb style connections on to every water supply line you can get at and blow them out one at a time a few time. I would probably start with the bottom floor then work my way up. Do that a couple of times.

Sediment in the lines is a pain in the ass....

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Start by draining the expansion tank off. close the house feed, put a hose on the tank and let it rip. Do the same thing at the water heater.

mward77095

Reaction score
This is going to be VERY time consuming but this is what I would do:

1. Install a filter/screen on the incoming water to filter out the bigger stuff. Put isolation valves around it so you can easily clean and maintain it.

2. Install hose bibb style connections on to every water supply line you can get at and blow them out one at a time a few time. I would probably start with the bottom floor then work my way up. Do that a couple of times.

Sediment in the lines is a pain in the ass....

What do you mean "blow them out one at a time? Do you mean let the water run at full blast out of one hose bib at a time?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks