Cast iron Connection Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

pwelsh130

Reaction score
I have a Cast Iron Vent Stack that the Kitchen sink assembly connects into. The problem is the horizontal drain pipe that connected into the sink was cracked next to the vent stack connection. I can not remove the threaded nut that attached the original horizontal pipe (took the broken pipe out but not the nut) to the vent stack. It is tucked into a concrete block wall and the pipe wrench can't get a grip. Any suggestions?

I have tried penetrating compound....Attaching a pvc pipe with epoxy. I put a torch to it but no help. I'm out of options. I've attached some pics.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 533
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 590
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 502

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I appears to me that you have reach the point that you need professional help. We DIYers have to realize that there is a point where our individual skills, tools, and know-how stop and it is time to set our egos aside and call in the Cavalry.

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
It looks like a trap adaptor which used to be soldered in. You can use a sawzall or hack saw blade and cut out a section of the threaded piece from the inside. Put the saw blade inside the fitting and cut straight down through the threads until you hit the cast iron. Then move around about a half inch and make a similar cut. Then pry out the little piece you just cut and you'll be able to spin out the rest of the adaptor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

It is a solder bushing for a tubular trap. Remove the vestiges of the trap by heating the solder and pulling the piece out. Then make two cuts, about 1/8" apart through the brass and remove the sliver between the cuts. Then use a chisel to fold the brass together to close up the slot, and it will unscrew, probably by hand.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not a longtime pro, but dcelites method has always worked for me. Make sure the two cuts are NOT a "pie wedge" or it'll never come out. I always try to do the opposite-my two cuts are closer together at the threads. Then knock it out w/ a chisel, and unscrew. Once or twice I've had to repeat the process on the opposite side of the fitting,cutting it in two. Then a tap w/ the chisel knocked each half loose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks