Back dating permits

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Being I am sick with the flu I am watching movies. Marathons. This one is Lethal Weapon. In the movie it is mentioned about back dating a permit for the work done in building a garage. Is this possible? Or legal? Or just a tv thing?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
back dating a permit for the work done in building a garage.

It's a tv thing.
Permits are pretty simple,
You get one, and the the inspections happen and they are signed and dated.

However, the last home Redmond home I lived in, many of the inspections were dated on one day, things like insulation, drywall and plumbing.
There is no way all of those inspections could have really happened on the same day.
That was the first time I ever saw that.
I built homes in King County, Bellevue and Woodinville, those inspections were all legit.

And of course all of the plumbing inspections were.
The only weird thing I ever ran into was in Tacoma.
I had a very strange inspector there one time.
First time I ever saw a plumbing inspector with an open shirt and a gold necklace.
And he kept talking about his "boys".
I wasn't one of his "boys".
At least he had that one right.
I called up and got a different inspector on the job.
Just look at the plumbing and sign it off.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If it comes up that you have work that was done without a permit, it is POSSIBLE to permit it after the fact. They don't " backdate" the permit, and it depends.....you have to be able to convince the city that the work complies. That may require some opening up of things for inspection. And there will be the fines....etc.

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It's all who you know, I got some back dated permits once when selling a home.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks