Tub drain/overflow between joists?

Users who are viewing this thread

kevinkay

Reaction score
Do they make a fitting that would allow the tub drain on one side of the joist (a hole then trough the joists) and the overflow on the otherside.

My Joists are TJ's so I can't notch them, hole has to be closer to center so the drian fitting "L" (tub shoe?) needs to be longer at the top before it turns.
IS there such a fitting, is it allowed?
OR, is is allowed to "T" the drain and overflow UNDER the joist?
Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There are also waste and overflows that have the drain under the shoe if that is what you were asking...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

There could be more than one way to do your drain, but we would have to see a picture or drawing to tell for sure. The elbow under the tub is a fixed measurement, and they do not make them with different dimensions below the tub. There are tubs with raised bottoms so the drain is above the floor, and drains where the outlet drops down from the tub outlet, with a flexible hose for the overflow, but that might also need notching to get under the tub.

kevinkay

Reaction score
here is a drawing to show what I am trying to do.

I want the drain on one side of the joist and the overflow on the other. I can not notch the joist but I can drill a hole through the midde. BUT, is there a (shoe?) the drain that "L's" off to the overflow, that is longer on the top, like 3" before it turns to join the overflow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally I use a plastic w & o, using a street 45 to offset the vertical from the top, and then angle the shoe drain over to the tee.
This way, I can move the p-trap over quite a bit.

In your case, the floor joists are running the other way, then yes, you could drill the TJI and go through the thin part of the joist to get to the tee.

tub-drain-offset-with-45.jpg

Last edited:

kevinkay

Reaction score
WOW, I got the atttention of Terry himself??!!

SO where can I get this fitting, give me a part numer.........for a shoe that would work in my case.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shoe

We KNOW exactly WHAT you need, the problem is that NOBODY makes one, period. You have to work with what you can get and what you have to deal with. Even the flexible overflow will not help you if the tub is sitting on the joist with no room between the joist and tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks