New boiler - water pumped backwards through old system

Users who are viewing this thread

Benj

Reaction score
I had a new boiler installed. After the installation, I realized that the new pipes were routed such that the feed was going into the old return lines. I have an 80 year old house with 3" main feed line and 1.5" return. Now the output from the boiler goes into the prior return lines.

I find that I keep getting air in multiple radiaters. I have to bleed some of them every two weeks for 15 minutes before the air is all out. Some just put out a little air and loose pressure. Do I have a clog secondary to displaced deposits related to the water flowing in the opposite direction?

I find that many of the radiaters elevate to the same tempurature regardless if the valve to the radiater is on or off. I suppose that now the valve is on the outlet side of the radiaters instead of the inlet side since the water is routed backwards. Could this be the cause for the valves seemingly not working? Could the radiaters be getting hot water passively through diffusion?
Thanks...

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I had a new boiler installed. After the installation, I realized that the new pipes were routed such that the feed was going into the old return lines. I have an 80 year old house with 3" main feed line and 1.5" return. Now the output from the boiler goes into the prior return lines.

I find that I keep getting air in multiple radiaters. I have to bleed some of them every two weeks for 15 minutes before the air is all out. Some just put out a little air and loose pressure. Do I have a clog secondary to displaced deposits related to the water flowing in the opposite direction?

I find that many of the radiaters elevate to the same tempurature regardless if the valve to the radiater is on or off. I suppose that now the valve is on the outlet side of the radiaters instead of the inlet side since the water is routed backwards. Could this be the cause for the valves seemingly not working? Could the radiaters be getting hot water passively through diffusion?
Thanks...

So you're now pushing into the 1.5" lines and returning on the 3" line?

You're not pushing water through the boiler backwards are you?

You should really repipe the system to how it was before.

Benj

Reaction score
Yep, the feed is going into the old return lines...1.5"

Unfortunately the water is going through the boiler the correct way (specified in the boiler manual). If it was going through the boiler and the system backwards, I would be much happier, as I could just reverse the direction of the pumps.

I'm thinking of redoing the piping when the weather warms up. It will be a lot of work.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yep, the feed is going into the old return lines...1.5"

Unfortunately the water is going through the boiler the correct way (specified in the boiler manual). If it was going through the boiler and the system backwards, I would be much happier, as I could just reverse the direction of the pumps.

I'm thinking of redoing the piping when the weather warms up. It will be a lot of work.

Just out of curiosity.... How did one manage to pipe the supply and return backwards like that?

Benj

Reaction score
The company that installed the boiler realized that that they had the feed and return backwards after it was installed. I worked with them a couple days but on the last few days I had to go to work. They actually never told me about it...my dad, who was here visiting and helping out, told me that several of the installers were talking about it and didn't think it would be a problem. Unfortunately my dad didn't tell me about this until several days after the job was done. At this point, it was a little too late.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Get them back to re pipe it. I can't see how anyone that works as a heating contractor could make such a stupid mistake.

John

Benj

Reaction score
Don't know if they'll re-pipe it. I wanted to gather some evidence to support my theory that what they did is problematic. Anyone else have some ideas or have experience with this sort of situation. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks