Sump going bad??

Users who are viewing this thread

Snooks

Reaction score
How do you know when a sump pump is going bad?

Ours is a 23+ year old submersible (not sure of the brand, builder installed it), still works fine, but is very loud (vibration?) when it runs and there is a knocking sound (sorta like a pipe banging against a joist several times) when it stops. I should also mention that it was installed before the inclusion of a check valve on the discharge was required, so it has none. I've also only had to replace the float switch (plugs into wall, pump plugs into it) in al that time, and that was about 10 years ago.

As the perimeter drains, areaway, furnace condensate, and humidifier overflow all drain into this, it is running much more than usual due to all of the wet weather we have had in the MD area.

It's been doing this for a few years, but we have switched our family room to the room that is right above the sump pump and the discharge pipe, so it is even more annoying now.

Any advice you can provide (including recommended replacement units) would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Psjr56

Reaction score
If you got 23+ out of it I would buy another of the brand. As far as a recommendation I can't help, sure someone here will.

Snooks

Reaction score
Thanks psjr56, but 23+ years ago, EVERBODY made their stuff differently. There's no guarantee that just because this one lasted that long, another one from the same mfg would. (Besides, it's been so long since I looked down in the pit that I don't even know if the original mfg name is still visible. Guess I should look at that. ;~) )

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks