Serious sump pump issues - help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

lbk

Reaction score
I have a serious water problem. My crock is continiously filling up and it doesn't stop until July/August. When it rains - major water. Spring thaw - major water. I have one pedestal pump that runs all the time. I have another pedestal pump in the crock with the float set a bit higher because I fear that the switch will go out or the electric motor will burn up. The pump(s) keep up ok, but they never stop because there is always water coming in.

A batttery backup isn't feasible because there is not room in the crock for another pump. Either way, a battery would not last long because it runs continious.

Once - only once thank god - both pumps were working and barely kept the water from oberflowing.

I have to find some way to reduce the flow of water. There are no drainage problems - surface water and the pumped water flows far away from the house. I think there is a underground river next to the house. Does that make sense?

I flooded on Christmas day this year and it ruined my whole basement and my holiday - I'm in tears - literally - over this. Everything was just about ruined.

Can you people discuss this with me and help me find a solution or some ideas anyway. Thanks.

My name is Bob.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I'm sure plenty of houses flooded in the Root River drainage area last week. There are a lot of basements in that area that are dug barely above the water table. When it rains a lot, the water table comes up and the water goes where it can.

We both know that sump pumps are not a good solution. I don't know if there is a good solution for such a problem short of raising the basement floor. I have a similar problem (though not as bad) that was greatly improved by installing french drains around the property to divert water away from the house.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
As noted, put in bigger pumps. Maybe build more pits. Install an automatic backup generator to insure power is maintained. The idea of dual pumps in each pit is a good one. Given the severity of the results of failure, redundancy is worthwhile.

If you have any idea of where the source of the water is you could try adding a pumping pit there. If it is just the water table in general, that won't help.

Try to figure out where water is flowing if you can. Maybe buy one of those home well drilling devices and drill some test holes around the house and property. Throw some fluorescene dye into the holes one at a time (or one color at a time) and see if it appears in the sump. Yeah, not cheap. Flooded basement - also not cheap. There are some systems that essentially dig a drain around the foundation and pump that. But if the flow is coming up under the slab, that would have limited success.

Really, more pits or trenches with pits through the floor is probably your best solution. Or chlorinate the basement and put in a diving board.

You generator should be automatic starting and transfer and preferably using natural gas if you have service. If not, propane. It stores forever and is kind to engines.

lbk

Reaction score
Automatic backup pump???

Thank you for the suggestions. I've been trying to figure out where the water is coming from for quite some time. Its quite strange because niether of my neighbors have this problem so it is somewhat peculiar to this piece of property.

I'm not familiar with a system that is described as an "automatic backup". I'm just familiar with the battery backups that do not excite me at all. Where can I find some infomation about the propane pump you describe. I'm really interested in that.

Would it help for me to have a larger crock? I think I need one for more pumps. Can you direct me to a website or a pump manufacturer. Thanks a whole bunch.

lbk

Reaction score
OK did a little research online - how would a backup generator system work. I can't keep in the basement. Where do I put it. Seems like generac is the most popular. What model would I need to run a sump pump - It isn't much of a load. Thanks.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'd say about a 35 hundred watt one would do the job, but to be sure, add up the loads. You can put it outside on a cement pad and wire it to the panel using a Gen-Tran switching relay.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If the neigbors are close and dont pump water you might be pumping city water from a leak. That would be an endless cause. Perhaps the city would have a look.

You could always fill in the basement and build a garage.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
thats a lot of money

OK did a little research online - how would a backup generator system work. I can't keep in the basement. Where do I put it. Seems like generac is the most popular. What model would I need to run a sump pump - It isn't much of a load. Thanks.

yyou can buy a backup natural gas generator tha twill keep the p;ower in in your home...

its gonna cost you about 6k.....

Would it not be wiser just to hire a dumb-ass to dig you another sump pump pit next to the onws you already have
and install one extra deep pit???

then go out and buy a Zoeller battery back up system
Aquanot ll???

a back up pump is meant only to save your cookies
for a while, it is not meant to run for 6 days ....

it will work untill the calvary arrives....wether that be
a simple backup generator you keep in your garage
or whatever....

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I can't believe anyone thinks that a sump pump that will run 24/7 is really the best option without fully looking into the situation. Pumping should be a last resort.

It needs to be determined where the water is coming from. An engineer might be needed to do this accurately. The surrounding changes in elevation and changes in the the soil layers types will determine if it is feasible to redirect this water to another area or possibly even a storm sewer.

Anytime one can avoid the need for electricity and pumps to provide drainage, it is a better solution.

Psjr56

Reaction score
I can't believe anyone thinks that a sump pump that will run 24/7 is really the best option without fully looking into the situation. Pumping should be a last resort.

It needs to be determined where the water is coming from. An engineer might be needed to do this accurately. The surrounding changes in elevation and changes in the the soil layers types will determine if it is feasible to redirect this water to another area or possibly even a storm sewer.

Anytime one can avoid the need for electricity and pumps to provide drainage, it is a better solution.

I agree with finding the cause first. One test that could be done is turn your water off at the street to see if it's yours that is leaking and causing the problem. Even though it stops in the summer it may be the ground can absorb everything away from your house. You'd be surprised the route water can find. Like CC said redirecting it would be worth the money then living with what you have now. I have drain pipe around the entire basement that goes to the sump so if water comes in I wouldn't have a clue as to exactly where. Get professional help, try the city or town first though.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
You need to locate the source of the problem and if possible fix that first then work on your sump/crock problem.

Being from Virginia Beach, VA few people have basements.

I suggest that you call my associate at Haupt Well and Pump in Auburndale, WI at (715) 652-2711. Talk to David and tell him "Porky" sent you. David is a long ways from you but I'm sure he'll be aware of your problem and will assist you over the telephone at no charge. Like myself David is a Master Ground Water Consultant/Contractor (MGWC). He may also be able to refer you to a qualified person in your area.

Porky Cutter, MGWC
Master Ground Water Consultant
www.dci-inc.us

Psjr56

Reaction score
Hey Porky how do you find a ground water stream? friend from work has been getting water in his sump after a new neighboorhood was built behind his house and there's a couple acres between the two. Also sent you a PM.

lbk

Reaction score
Many Thanks

Thank you so much for all of your help with this issue. Porky - I will call your friend. I would prefer to find the source of this problem - I think it is the only thing that will give me a good night's sleep.

In the meantime, I have to take some security measures. I want to run two primary pumps whcih are in place now. I need a battery backup, but I have no room in the crock. So - I've been trying to find a battery back-up that I can place outside of the crock - and believe it or not, I found one. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this outfit:

http://www.radonseal.com/backup-sump-pumps.htm

The the DH-3500 seems to be the solution for me in the short run. I can run it with the system that I have in place now and it pumps an awful lot of water. Any thoughts on this - or is someone aware of some other external type pump I could utilize. Many thanks.

My basement is almost dry - thank god.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks