Toto Aquia dual flush toilet product review, comments and posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

MissAntarctica5

Reaction score
Aquia Dual Flush/Ultimate/Ultramax 1.28

Hi Terry,

Who knew I could spend so much time and take so much pleasure out of reading about toilets? :) I have been lurking your site for a few years now and taking your advice.

I installed 2 Toto Ultimates in the main bathroom (2006) and ensuite (2007) (I think that they are 1.6 gpf models) and loved them.

I then installed an Aquia III dual flush in my powder room (2009) and have had little success with it. I tried putting quarters on the flushers and they just fell into the tank after a couple of flushes. Toto sent me longer straws, and the only result was the flushing buttons stick up very high and look odd. The only way I can make the 0.8 liquid flush take even one small piece of toilet paper is to hold it down for a 3-count, which I think is overriding the low flush. The solid side, I also have to hold down for a 3-count. I am also not impressed when I have to clean the bowl after every solids "event" - it seems that I am the only one in the family who notices...

We are building a new home and I want to install 3 x Ultimate 1.6 gpf. But seems that now only 1.28 gpf models are now available. Do they work as well as the 1.6? This forum doesn't seem to distinguish between the two. I am not concerned about the increased water use of a 1.6 because we are also installing a BRAC system that recycles the shower and bath water for toilet flushing.

Thanks!

Firemark

Reaction score
Check Flush Valve setting

Misantartica

I have 2 of the Aquia III's and have no flush issues at all. You may have a setting issue with the flush tower.

I still have the original install instructions scanned and cut/pasted a portion showing how to check/adjust the Flush Valve tower for the partial flush.

You can also find a video to two with the flush demo's for both the .9 and 1.6flushes to compare to how your toilet is performing.

Hope this helps. Otherwise the many experts on this site should be able to point you in the right direction.

P.S. I know you don't seem that concerned about water usage but my first full quarter water bill just arrived since the Toto's were installed. Overall, usage is down 30% in the quarter compared to the same period last year with old 3.5GPF Mansfields.

FlushValveAdjust.jpg

Last edited:

MissAntarctica5

Reaction score
Thanks Firemark. I have adjusted it (might have been a little low) and will try this for a while.
I am very concerned about water conservation and the environmental impacts of wasting this resource. The reason I am not concerned about water use in my new house is that we are going to install a Brac system which will filter and collect the water from showers and use for flushing toilets. So I hope I won't be paying for any new water used only to flush.

Nonpocillovist

Reaction score
I installed a Toto Aquia a couple years ago. It never clogs, even using the .9 gal flush, but I usually have to brush the bowl after each non-liquid-only use and then flush again. Also, because of the shape of the bowl, it is difficult to clean with a standard brush. Does anyone have any brush reccomendations?

dix

Reaction score
I am looking at picking up an aquia or 3, just wondering if its possible to replace the push button with a brushed chrome/nickel variant? I have done many searches and have come up with nothing, can anyone help out?

Thanks.

Laikabear

Reaction score
I have a 14" rough in and would like to install an Aquia II. I confess I don't know anything about toilets and never noticed my current one is 2" off the wall. Other than the appearance of not being flush with the wall, will it be a problem to install the 12" toilet over the 14" rough in?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have a 14" rough in and would like to install an Aquia II. I confess I don't know anything about toilets and never noticed my current one is 2" off the wall. Other than the appearance of not being flush with the wall, will it be a problem to install the 12" toilet over the 14" rough in?

No, the toilet will just sit that 2" extra away from the wall, so yes, you can use it. The Aquia is now available in both 12" (original) and 10" rough-in versions, but I've not seen a 14" version.

Laikabear

Reaction score
Thanks, Jim!

I read in one of the threads that something on the Toto is "open" at the back, so I wanted to see if there was anything specific to the Aquia II that would make it a bad idea to put the 12" toilet on the 14" rough in. I am looking forward to having that skirted design, and the dual flush. I first saw those when I visited Sydney in 2002 and I was impressed. :)

Maureen

Aquia CST414M I, open in back
Aquia CST416M II, closed bowl
Aquia CST464MF III, open in back
Aquia CST412MF, closed bowl
Aquia CST412MF.10 closed bowl

Last edited by a moderator:

Laikabear

Reaction score
PS, is the unifit adapter available for the Aquia II? At the store they said it is not, but I just wanted to make sure. It would be nice to have the tank against the wall if possible. :)

Laikabear

Reaction score
Thanks guys! It looks like the Aquia II will work for me! I really appreciate the info on the forum/ website.

>>Aquia CST416M II, closed bowl

WaterWiseWannabe

Reaction score
Sometimes where I live there are power shortages and we have to flush the toilets with a bucket of water poured into the bowl. Will I still be able to do that with this dual flush model?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes where I live there are power shortages and we have to flush the toilets with a bucket of water poured into the bowl. Will I still be able to do that with this dual flush model?

Thanks!

Yes, the toilet will flush in this manner. Another approach is to use the bucket to fill the tank, then fill the bowl (you have to do this slowly, or it will flush again).

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
I can't remember if I gave a review of my Toto Aquia II -- anyways, we've had it installed for about 5 months now and it is excellent. It looks great, never clogs, and is very high quality. Adds a lot of sophistication to a bathroom. The softclose seat is, in a word, delightful.

Compared to a standard toilet, it is far more complicated to install, but as a project in itself it is quite straightforward for the average weekend warrior. If you follow the directions and have a decent set of tools, you will be done in about 2 hours at most.

You will not regret buying this toilet!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is a new video on the E-Max and the Dual Max flushing system.

[video=youtube;NGWWEoXlCxM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGWWEoXlCxM[/video]

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks