(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Toto Aquia dual flush toilet product review, comments and posts.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes you can, We sell and install Toto toilets in the Seattle area.
    In fact my son Taylor went to Redmond High last year.

Buying the Aquia in the Seattle area

I want to order two Toto Aquia toilets and also want to get the SoftClose Seat. Can I order the set on Terry Love's website also??
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 01-19-2014 at 12:07 PM.

Default Aquia Install Question

First,

Like a lot of folks, I NEVER thought I would spend so much time researching a toilet. However, your site has some of the best information I could find anywhere! NICE WORK!

I've done a lot of research and like a lot of folks transitioning from what I know to what is better is a bit of an adjustment. The feedback from all the users has been an immense help. So...

My limitation is that my home has 2 bathrooms with 10" rough-in. I have found that it seems to have reduced my options quite a bit, especially in dual flush. I've read enough to rule out the Caroma. So, I think after all my research that the Aquia CST412MF.10 is my best choice.

The installation instructions are made for a couple model variations and think I understand the difference but just to make sure...Does the model that I am planning on buying still mount conventionally straight down onto the socket? With the exception of adding the mounting blocks, it seems rather straight forward.

Also, my water outlet is about 5" above floor (6" recommended) and 6 3/4 to the side of the center of the outlet (7 3/4" recommended). Do you see that as being a major issue?

Hey, I work for the government...measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a grease pencil, cut it with a chain saw.

Is there another model you think I should look closer at?

TANX!!!

Don

Blog Entries

The CST412MF.10 and the CST412MF mount straight down on the adapter and use the two blocks at the back.
    Your water supply will be fine.

Smile frequent clogger / consumer reports ratings

Hi Terry,
    I'm currently planning a new house and we're trying to choose the best toilets for our needs. I've really appreciated your forum and website. I have two questions:

1. Our current, very old gravity toilet often clogs with large solids. Based on what I've seen, it would seem that a larger valve opening would be good for this (3" vs 2"). However, we would also like dual-flush, but the Toto Aquia has the smaller diameter opening. Any suggestions?

2. I'm a Consumer Reports junkie. Their 2009 ratings seem to show the Kohler and American Standard ahead of Toto by quite a margin, although they don't review the Aquia. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you so much.

Blog Entries

Consumer Reports?
    The guys that flip the handle a few times and then give their "expert" recommendation?

CR's top choice for a dual flush
    I was in Detroit with Flushmate this Fall, and they were laughing at how bad the Gerber dual flush was too. The dual flush unit in the Gerber is made in China. And yet CR gives this piece of junk their best buy.

CR gives the Kohler Cimarron five listings on their report, why? It's just one model.
    The rinse isn't that good, and it plugs more then others. The handle is hard to push down for older people. Quality control could be better.

CR also like the Cadet 3
    Quality control is an issue here too. I guess CR doesn't care about those things though.
    For someone looking to spend less, it's an option though.

CR list the Flushmate Gerber about four times, again same toilet, four listings. Why?

CR does show a video of the toilet I have in my main bath, the Ultramax II, but they plug the outlet of the bowl and then take the video. It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Why is CR cheating on their testing?
    Are they taking paybacks?
    I have the same model in my main bathroom, and mine works great, in fact for someone with an ileostomy bag, it's my first choice. That and the Drake II. The Sanagloss coating in the bowl is a big plus.

I've sold about 300 of the TOTO Aquia. It's been trouble free. Not something that CR would care about.
    They don't have to live with the product after they flip the lever, or service the product for customers. Plumbers do have to deal with the product years after installation.
    They don't have an ileostomy bag to deal with either, but others do. One person in twenty will develop colon cancer in their lifetime.
    That in itself changes the whole ball game. Any of the TOTO products with Sanagloss will be a big difference maker for that.

The Aquia has a good flush, but the Aquia II and the III have the 2-1/8" trapway like the others. For 99.5% of the population, that works fine. There is a tiny percentage of people with a medical condition that requires a larger trapway for large hard stools. For those people, I like the Caroma dual flush with the 3" trapway.
    For the average (majority of the population) user, a trapway of 2-1/8" works very well.

The TOTO Drake has been working very well for customers too.
    I've been selling those for $239.99 in the Seattle area.
    Last edited by Terry; 01-19-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshe View Post
    Hi Terry,
    1. Our current, very old gravity toilet often clogs with large solids.
    I installed two Aquia III's over a year ago after ditching old Mansfield 3.5GPFs that clogged up at least once per week. Your reference to "Large" was my concern at the time as well. However, I was concerned about volume not bunker buster size. I also looked at the Caroma but a nasty video posted online with lots of splashback made the Aquia my choice.

I'm happy to say the plunger has been retired to the garage for storage and never used since the Toto's were installed.

Terry mentions Sanagloss as a good option to help keep the bowl clean but the Aqiua's don't come in Sanagloss unless that's a recent change.

No Sanagloss on the Aquia
    Terry

Can someone summarize for me the feature differences and/or advantages of the various Aquia toilet models CST 412MF , CST 464MF, CST 416M-01 and CST 414M-51. I really appreciate any help. This is a very good forum. Thanks and best regards.

Blog Entries

CST414M is a 15-1/8" high bowl using the more complicated floor mounting, with an open back bowl.

CST416M is a 15-1/8" high bowl with the less complicated floor mounting, the back of the bowl is closed.

CST464MF is a 16-1/8" high bowl, otherwise like the CST416M

CST421MF is a 16-1/8" high bowl, otherwise like the CST416M

M = dual Max flushing
    F = 16-1/8" high bowl

Default Which is better?

Hi,

I never thought I would spend so much time researching toilets. I am stuck between Toto's Aquia and Kholer's Strela. I am not sure which toilet is better. Could you please advise? Also, what is the difference between the Toto's CST412MF and CST464MF? These toilets are the same price.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I've installed my new Aquai ... almost... I'm about 1/2" from the bowl being pushed back to where it's supposed to set. On one side I can screw in the mounting bolt, but not the other - so I'm thinking it's off a bit, but nonetheless I cannot push the bowl back any further. I measured everything and even soaped the ring as you suggested... The only thing I can think of is that the bowl is rubbing against the mounting blocks making it impossible to push it back any further. So, what do you suggest? Can I somehow trim the mounting block - rather than taking the whole thing back out and moving the blocks? That's the easiest option to me that I've thought of so far - but want to get advice from you before I try anything.

Thank you -
    Michael

Blog Entries

The blocks are there to receive the attaching screws. I little triming shouldn't hurt.

You must have the CST414M Aquia if you are sliding the bowl toward the wall into the adapter. How far from the wall was the rough-in?

Okay, i'll try that.
    Yes, it's the cst414m and a 12" rough-in.

thanks for the quick reply.

Default Bowl drain

I installed the Aquia II a few months ago thanks to this site! I am now noticing something unusual - after a flush the bowl empties and refills. Within a few hours though the bowl is back to almost empty like it is draining somewhere. There are no apparent leaks and it seems to flush with the same force as always. Any ideas as to where the water is going and how to stop it?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

There should be very little water in the bowl when at rest.
    Are you sure there isn't a plug somewhere, and that the bowl is being overfilled and then seeps down to it's natural level?

Toto Aquia dual flush toilet
    The water level is at the second line starting from the middle.

I installed a Toto Aquia III this past Friday. It took me longer to read and understand the instructions than to actually do it. I installed a new brass nipple and 1/4 turn valve as well and the whole process just took a few hours. The extra flange and mounting hardware is a great idea so if the toilet has to be removed, the wax seal still remains intact... unlike a traditional toilet installation.

And my girlfriend loves the soft close seat. She won't miss the toilet seat banging in the middle of the night. Ha.

I'm considering replacing my upstairs toilet as well... but it might be a 10" rough in. I'll have to check.

This place is a great resource! Thanks again.